Despite the rapid growth of instant messaging and other social media applications, email services continue to hold the top position in society as a means of communication. More than 280 million emails are sent and received daily.
The bulk of the world’s population uses the free email services offered by Yahoo, Gmail, and Hotmail, among other well-known email service providers. It is completely acceptable to use free email services without being aware of the extent to which security authorities monitor our communications.
In 2013, Edward Snowden, an NSA system analyst, revealed the degree to which email services are infiltrated by email service providers and the US government, calling email security into question.
The disclosures of Edward Snowden necessitated secure email systems with security safeguards to avoid email compromise. Thus, email providers with enhanced security measures and protection from the government’s prying eyes started to proliferate.
Most secure email service providers for email communication
ProtonMail was among the first secure email services to launch. This occurred after Snowden’s disclosures ushered in a new age of email security realities.
In 2013, a group of scientists established ProtonMail to secure consumers’ online privacy.
Key features of ProtonMail
- Server location: The ProtonMail servers are based in Switzerland, a nation with strict regulations on privacy protection. This guarantees that user information is never compromised.
- End-to-end encryption: ProtonMail delivers end-to-end encryption for all incoming and outgoing email messages. Proton’s end-to-end encryption mechanisms prevent unauthorized access to emails sent or received by ProtonMail subscribers.
- Anonymity: ProtonMail’s policy does not require you to give personal information before registering for the service. Thus, you become an anonymous user. Additionally, ProtonMail does not save IP records that might be used to identify you.
- Open Source: The ProtonMail code is open source.
- Simple User Interface: ProtonMail provides an intuitive UI that is compatible with the web, Android, iOS, and Mac platforms.
- Free standard email.
- The basic email account provides 500MB of cloud storage.
- Expensive premium services.
Tutanota is one of the most secure email providers that also prioritizes user security and privacy. Tutanota combines 2048-bit RSA and 128-bit AES encryption to provide customers with the highest level of privacy protection possible.
In addition, Tutanota is a German email service provider with servers housed in well-protected data centers in Germany, which has some of the strongest privacy protection regulations in the world.
Key features of Tutunota
- Two-factor authentication guarantees that only you can access your email account.
- End-to-end encryption guarantees that transmitted and received email communications cannot be deciphered.
- Open source code guarantees that Tutanota’s security codes are validated by security professionals.
- Available for use on Android, iOS, and the web to facilitate accessibility.
- Advertisement-free email.
- The account opening policy does not require you to provide personal information. Additionally, Tutanota does not track IP addresses and guarantees that IP addresses are removed from all sent and received communications.
- All users of Tutanota have access to encrypted calendar integration services.
- A free basic account with 1 GB of cloud storage capacity and all protective measures is available to users. Premium users get access to extra services, including cloud storage capacity that exceeds 1 GB.
- Premium services are available for an annual fee of $13.27 and include support for up to five unique usernames and one additional user.
- Storage upgrades are expensive.
Mailfence is a protected email service developed by ContactOffice in response to Snowden’s revelations. Mailfence’s servers are located in Belgium, another European nation with stringent privacy protection laws.
Key features of Mailfence
- Access to calendars, contacts, and a safe repository for documents.
- Free users get access to 500 MB of cloud storage for files and an additional 500 MB for documents.
- Bitcoin is accepted as a form of payment for premium services.
- Protocol for end-to-end encrypting communications.
- Two-factor authentication prevents illegal access.
- Mailfence does not have a mobile app.
- It does not use open-source software.
Similar to other encrypted email services, CounterMail’s servers are based in Sweden, a European nation with strict privacy protection legislation.
CounterMail service is a mail service that prioritizes simplicity. CounterMail provides one of the most sophisticated privacy and security features with a straightforward graphical user interface.
Key features of CounterMail
- Diskless servers with no data storage capacity.
- Strong MITM security to prevent Man-in-the-Middle attacks.
- Unidentified email headers.
- Compatible with the Android operating system.
- CounterMail USB security key for enhanced mail protection.
- A annual membership costs $79.
- 100 percent transparency.
- CounterMail services are more costly than other secure email providers.
- Ancient user-interface design.
Canada is not regarded as a good place for hosting mail servers. However, Hushmail provides a dependable email service with servers situated there.
It is believed that Canada’s privacy protection regulations are out of date since they do not match the world’s fast technological development.
Hushmail provides encrypted email services with a simple design, comprehensive security, and privacy features.
Key features of Hushmail
- OpenPGP encryption.
- Website compliant with HIPAA.
- Complete encryption.
- User-friendly interface.
- Servers headquartered in Canada.
- It does not work with Mac OS.
Runbox offers secure email with integrated services, such as domain and site hosting. Its servers are based in Norway, a nation with a solid reputation for privacy protection regulations. Runbox’s powerful end-to-end encryption prevents all sorts of email snooping. With an added capability that facilitates the migration of email from other providers.
Highlights of Runbox
- You may access Runbox through POP, SMTP, IMAP, etc. from any client.
- Use your domain name.
- You get access to virus-filtering email services without advertisements.
- The cheapest subscriptions start at $16.49 and include 1GB of cloud storage for email and 100MB for documents.
- There are no free email services.
Posteo is a German-based email service that utilizes a unique encryption approach.
Highlights of Posteo
- You may use services from other email accounts.
- Anonymous payment.
- Open source code.
- 2FA verification.
- TLS-secured connections with end-to-end encryption.
- Spam and virus filter.
When selecting a safe email account, there are three important elements to consider. Their encryption techniques, server locations, and ways of operation finance.
Additionally, it is recommended to use email providers with servers located outside the United States and the United Kingdom. This is because EU nations are renowned for their stringent privacy protection laws, which shield user data from government intrusion.
Use a VPN to preserve your online security and privacy. In addition to offering a 30-day free trial, NordVPN is the most user-friendly VPN available, requiring no computer knowledge whatsoever.