Typically, when we refer to Netflix, we are referring to the Netflix service in the United States. After all, the American catalog of programs has the broadest range of contemporary television series. However, some nations have their own Netflix-exclusive programming. For example, Netflix’s repertoire in Italy includes both foreign and domestic films, such as Amiche da Morire, Generazione 1000 Euro, and Reality.
Additionally, Netflix Italy provides Italian subtitles and dubbing for a large part of its content, making it more appealing to Italians abroad. Only a few VPNs remain capable of safely accessing this Netflix collection.
Users outside of Italy who seek to access Netflix Italia will be automatically routed to the Netflix version available in their current country. To access Netflix Italy safely while abroad, you’ll need an Italian IP address. An IP address is a one-of-a-kind identifier for your device that is used to determine your approximate location.
The most effective method of obtaining an Italian IP address is via the use of a VPN. The Virtual Private Network (VPN) encrypts all internet traffic on a device and sends it via an intermediate server located in the location of your choice. This replaces your actual IP address with the one used by the server, which is situated in Italy in this example.
Netflix has blocked access to its content through a large number of VPN servers. When attempting to access Netflix Italy over a prohibited VPN, the following error notice will appear:
“Ops! Qualcosa è andato storto… Errore – streaming. Sembra che tu stia usando un unblocker o un proxy. Disattiva questi servizi e riprova.
Or, in English:
“Whoops, something went wrong… Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
How to stream Netflix Italia from outside the country
Once you’ve figured out how to stream Netflix Italia from overseas, it’s simple. Simply follow the instructions outlined below.
- Install a VPN compatible with Netflix Italia. NordVPN is recommended.
- Start the VPN application and choose an Italian server.
- Clear your browser’s cookies and cache. This may be used to save location data from past sessions.
- Open Netflix Italia and begin watching your favorite Italian television series and films!
Best VPN for streaming Italian Netflix
How do we determine which VPN is best for Netflix Italia? Our pick was made using the following criteria:
- Italian servers capable of properly connecting to Netflix Italy.
- Connections that are both fast and dependable are required for uninterrupted HD streaming.
- Customer service that is prompt and competent.
- Supports a variety of device types.
NordVPN is compatible with Netflix and comparable services, so Italian tourists should have no difficulty regaining access to their preferred entertainment. Nord maintains over 50 servers in Italy and boasts very fast speeds. This means that you’ll be able to stream at the maximum quality possible, with no apparent buffering.
NordVPN employs military-grade encryption to protect your online activities from being monitored by hackers and your ISP. The firm claims to have a genuine zero-logging policy, which means it does not keep any information about your usage of the service. A single membership entitles you to connect to multiple devices concurrently. On the website, live customer support is offered. The servers are sufficiently fast to provide uninterrupted transmission without buffering.
Apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android are available.
Is it possible to use a free VPN in conjunction with Netflix Italy?
Most likely not. Even among premium VPN providers, we discovered that just three were compatible with Netflix. In general, we suggest avoiding free VPNs. They often provide a far smaller variety of servers, impose data limitations, and limit bandwidth.
Numerous free VPNs generate revenue by violating users’ privacy by introducing advertisements and tracking cookies into their browsers. Their browsing information is harvested and sold to other parties. Certain free VPN programs may potentially include malware that can infect, damage, and/or steal information from your device.
Is your VPN incompatible with Netflix? Consider the following:
If you already have a subscription to one of the VPN companies mentioned above but are still unable to safely watch Netflix, try the instructions below.
- Log out of any Google account on the system, even if you are using Chrome. Google cached IP addresses, which may be used to determine your precise location.
- Disable all location services in your browser and on any system or device that may be using them (GPS, etc.).
- Clear the cookies, cache, and temporary files from your browser. Learn how to clear your cache and cookies here.
- Ensure that IPv6 is disabled on your device. This option is often located in your network settings.
- To receive a new IP address, disconnect and rejoin the desired server location.
- Adjust the time zone on your device to the provider’s service region and the time to local time. Italy is divided into two time zones: UTC+1 and UTC+2.
- If you are connected to a wifi network and have access to the router, modify your wireless network’s (SSID) name by inserting “”_nomap”” at the end (no quotes). This disables Google’s geolocation services on your network. To reestablish internet connectivity, you must reconnect your device to a new network.