Before moving to or from Bangladesh, it is essential to establish a secure virtual private network (VPN). We’ll examine the best VPN for Bangladesh—the software that encrypts and protects your online activities. Not only do we propose the most secure services, but also those that give fast speeds and the ability to access your regular streaming services when traveling overseas.
Bangladesh launched a severe assault on internet freedoms in late 2015 when the government ordered the entire shutdown of Facebook, Messenger, WhatsApp, and Viber. That same year, an online writer was arrested for making disparaging remarks against a government official on his Facebook page.
Since then, internet freedom in South Asian countries has remained stagnant, as we will explain in detail at the end of this piece. It’s a good idea to use a VPN to browse the internet safely in Bangladesh.
VPN companies provide an encrypted tunnel via which all internet traffic between your device and the internet is routed through an intermediate server of your choosing. This causes hosting websites and applications to treat you as though you’re accessing the web from a place other than your current city or town.
To suggest the top VPN service for Bangladesh, services must adhere to the following stringent criteria:
- Maintains a global network of servers (bonus points for an option in Bangladesh).
- Utilizes best-in-class encryption standards to ensure the safety of your location.
- Can assist you in securing your access to streaming services.
- Provides prompt and dependable service with superior customer care.
- Has a facility for concurrent connections.
- Includes both mobile and desktop applications.
Best VPN for Bangladesh
Our top suggestion for a Bangladesh VPN is NordVPN. It has been in business for more than a decade, establishing an enviable reputation along the way.
This service operates over 5,000 servers in several countries, with most of them located in Asia, Europe, and North America. There are no possibilities in Bangladesh, but there are many nearby. NordVPN surpassed rivals in our speed testing, ensuring that you always have a fast connection.
NordVPN’s primary strengths are security and privacy. It does not save any user data and is thus called a “logless VPN.” Since it is domiciled in Panama, it is not subject to any statutory data retention rules. Additionally, it enables users to strengthen their connection by choosing the “dual VPN” option.
NordVPN protects your data using 256-bit encryption, the OpenVPN protocol, a kill switch, and DNS leak prevention. These are some of the industry’s most stringent requirements. The provider maintains fast, consistent speeds and is compatible with sites such as US Netflix.
Android, iOS, Linux, Windows, and MacOS applications are available. The basic package supports concurrent connections on multiple devices.
Methodology: Choosing the best VPN for Bangladesh
Finding a VPN that you can trust to keep you secure online is challenging enough, but customers in Bangladesh also want their chosen provider to be capable of circumventing stringent internet restrictions. Needless to say, no provider will suffice. We evaluated which features of a VPN are most critical for this kind of work and will outline our reasons below:
- Privacy: Multiple individuals have been abducted or murdered because of their online activities, according to Freedom House’s 2020 assessment of the condition of the country’s internet. As such, our top priority is your privacy. The service mentioned above does not record any personally identifiable information about you and even owns and hosts its own servers, thus limiting the number of entities that have access to your traffic.
- Secure your online traffic: Your web traffic must be protected from prying eyes. To ensure this, we’ve opted to suggest only a VPN that provides at least 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak prevention, and a kill switch. However, the majority go further than this.
- Potential for streaming: We emphasize a VPN that has robust streaming capabilities. Our suggestion above includes some type of obfuscation (commonly in the form of a “stealth mode”) to conceal the fact that you’re using a VPN and enables you to access content or services that are typically unavailable in Bangladesh.
- Speed and server selection: The more nations covered by a network, the more stuff you can potentially access. Naturally, you’ll want high-speed servers to guarantee that you can really watch the content you’ve selected! That is why we only suggest VPN providers that fared well in our most recent VPN speed testing.
- Ease of use: Privacy should not be reserved for computer professionals. To make our list, a service must be simple enough to use for a total novice. Additionally, features that further lower the barrier to entry, such as cross-platform compatibility, 24/7 assistance, or the absence of a connection restriction, are usually appreciated.
- Price: We will never propose a service that is not reasonably priced. If a VPN costs more than competitors offering comparable capabilities (without compelling justification), it will be excluded from our list. Additionally, we’ll inform you of any applicable long-term savings or guarantees, ensuring that you never spend more than necessary.
This is just the beginning. We put VPNs through a battery of tests to guarantee that we can assess their performance equitably and correctly over time.
Is it necessary to use a free VPN in Bangladesh?
There are several free VPNs available, and you’re sure to run across a couple during your VPN search. However, such providers are to be used at your own risk.
To circumvent social media limits and other internet censorship in Bangladesh, you’ll need a VPN service that employs impregnable encryption and location-aware technology. Free VPNs fall short of the standards set by the recommended providers on this list; they employ insecure encryption techniques, offer just one or two servers, and impose data limitations. Yes, they seem attractive since there is no upfront purchase required, but this is a gimmick to profit from you in the long term.
Numerous instances exist of free services that unethically harvest user data to resell it or use idle bandwidth to construct botnet armies. At the very least, anticipate an abundance of intrusive ads. We do not advise you to take this route. Use a paid service to keep yourself safe and secure online; a few bucks will go a long way toward assuring peace of mind.
How to configure a VPN in Bangladesh
For the first time, setting up a VPN is straightforward. If you follow our step-by-step instructions below, you’ll be able to safeguard your online activity and quickly access all of your favorite stuff.
- Join a VPN service—(we recommend NordVPN.)
- Download the VPN application that is appropriate for your device.
- Select a server from the VPN list. Any server will suffice for privacy. However, to access regional content, use a server located outside of Bangladesh (for example, you can use a US server to securely access American Netflix).
- Make an attempt to connect to your usual service (you may need to clear your cookies for the changes to take effect).
- Take advantage of unfettered content and increased security.
- NordVPN offers a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee. This means that if you cancel before the end of this period, you will receive a full refund, effectively making it free.
How free and open is the internet in Bangladesh?
Bangladesh’s first signs of problems appeared after the passing of the 2006 Information and Communication Technology (ICT) laws. It was initially utilized by the government in 2013 to arrest four bloggers who expressed worry about the increasing tide of religious extremism and other societal problems. In the same year, the law’s penalties were enhanced, ranging from a minimum of seven years to a maximum of fourteen. Additionally, the same law authorized police to conduct arrests without first obtaining warrants.
2015 saw an increase in violence. Numerous deadly assaults by extremists on internet bloggers, along with the imprisonment of famous journalist Probir Shikdar, have created a “climate of terror,” as advocacy group Freedom House has put it. This pushed Bangladeshi netizens into a self-censorship atmosphere.
Between 2016 and 2017, the internet was subjected to further policing. The administration prohibited a total of 35 news websites because they were biased towards the opposition party. Additionally, 300 people were detained under the same ICT legislation, with some languishing in state detention for many weeks. Overall, the nation maintained a ‘partly-free’ rating from Freedom House, with the organization stating that the climate of fear and intimidation led to the country’s ‘not-free’ status for journalistic freedoms.
If you are a Bangladeshi blogger, social media commenter, journalist, or whistleblower, your conversations are almost certainly being monitored. For further information on this subject, see our guide to blogging responsibly.
Although online gambling is theoretically prohibited in the devoutly Muslim nation, rules are seldom followed. However, the government has already shown intolerance for online activities, and it might very easily exploit existing legislation to further restrict internet freedoms. To ensure your safety, you may utilize a VPN.
DISCLAIMER: PrivacyExplore does not advocate the use of a VPN to circumvent legislation. Please get competent guidance from a local lawyer before choosing to go down this path.
How to access Netflix safely in Bangladesh
While Netflix is theoretically accessible worldwide, the content provided differs significantly by country. This is due to copyright and licensing rules and constraints. If you log in to Netflix from Bangladesh, regardless of where the account is registered, you will be sent to the local library. For visitors to Bangladesh, the only way around this ban is to first use a VPN. Connect to a US VPN server, for example, if you wish to regain access to US Netflix.
Netflix has been at odds with VPNs for a long period of time. As a result, not all VPNs are compatible with streaming media juggernauts. If you have any issues, it is recommended that you contact customer care for each specific VPN. In most circumstances, they’ll be able to point you in the right direction.
How to access Bangladeshi television when traveling
Bangladeshis who live or travel outside the country may use a VPN to get a Bangladeshi IP address and access Bangladeshi content. Using a VPN with Bangladeshi servers enables you to access content from channels such as NTV and Gazi Television. It may also be used to watch Bangladeshi Tigers cricket matches, whether at home or overseas.
Certain Bangladeshi content aggregators, such as JagoBD, operate on a freemium model, which allows users to watch their content for free as long as they don’t mind the occasional interruption for commercials. However, a few of these channels are unavailable to viewers in the United States and Canada, calling for the use of a VPN.
VPN for Bangladesh FAQs
How can I circumvent Bangladesh’s internet censorship?
In 2018, the Bangladeshi government enacted the Digital Security Act. As with other laws used to repress dissent in other nations, this one is ambiguously written, allowing for the arrest of almost anybody for relatively small offenses. Additionally, this rule empowers the government to prohibit particular sorts of information, which it has done prudently in the years afterward.
With the correct VPN, it’s rather simple to circumvent internet filtering. However, not all will operate since certain countries and services use deep packet inspection to detect VPN activity. Rather, you’ll require an obfuscation or stealth mode provider, which will disguise your data as normal web traffic. Bear in mind that it is always prudent to investigate local legislation before trying to use a VPN in a foreign country.
How can I use a VPN to watch live cricket?
If you’re going overseas and are unable to access your preferred sports streaming providers, do not despair! Typically, these services have verified your IP address and determined that you are beyond their broadcast zones. Simply connect to a VPN server in your home country to conceal your actual location and make it seem as if you never left.
Make sure to delete your cookies and cache before attempting again! This causes websites and applications to discard any previous location data, resolving the most frequent issues you’d encounter otherwise. When you are ready, attempt to access your preferred service once again. This time around, you should have the option to stream as much cricket as you want!
Is it legal in Bangladesh to use a VPN?
Yes. VPNs are not prohibited in Bangladesh, and it is entirely legal to subscribe to a VPN service and use one on your device. Having said that, the Bangladeshi government has been known to sometimes ban and regulate various internet services, including Facebook.
When governments restrict access to internet services, they often do so in the name of national security. As a result, you may be breaking the law if you use a VPN to access those services that are purposely banned.
Thus, it is what you choose to do with a VPN that matters, not whether you use a VPN that may violate the law. What is known is that using a VPN to conduct any illicit activity is still illegal and may result in prosecution.
With this in mind, we urge you to always do your research before utilizing a VPN. This article contains no legal advice.