Are you trying to stream BBC America while traveling? We demonstrate how a Virtual Private Network (VPN) may help you watch BBC America from any location around the globe, as well as the best VPN for the purpose.
Although the BBC broadcasts in a number of nations worldwide, the programming available varies by area. While this kind of geo-blocking is often used for copyright protection, there is no disputing that it creates complications for anyone traveling outside the United States. Americans on vacation will simply receive an error message that says, “Unfortunately, this content is not available in your location.”
The good news is that circumventing regional television limitations is quite simple. The majority of streaming services utilize your IP address to determine your country of origin, and by connecting to a VPN, you may make it seem as if you’ve never left the United States. That’s not all; many services also encrypt your traffic, enabling you to access public wi-fi hotspots while on vacation without fear of surveillance.
Choosing a VPN would be a lot simpler if they were all practically the same. This is not the case, and it is precisely the distinction between services that enables some to elude detection by platforms such as BBC America. We’d prefer, however, that you choose a VPN capable of tackling any day-to-day job, which is why all of the services we suggest satisfy the following criteria:
- Provides access to multiple servers located around the United States.
- Unblocks BBC America reliably from overseas.
- Is fast enough to support continuous HD live streaming.
- Notifies you if any data is logged that might be used to identify you.
- Provides applications for all major operating systems.
How to get BBC America from anywhere in the world with a VPN
Geographic constraints are not nearly as troublesome as they seem at first glance. The following is a quick tutorial on viewing BBC America using a VPN from anywhere on the globe.
How to watch BBC America online from anywhere is as follows:
- To begin, choose a VPN service (we recommend NordVPN).
- The next step is to download and install the service’s app on any device used for streaming. The majority of services allow for up to five concurrent connections, which should be plenty to protect all of your frequently used devices.
- Log in and choose a server in the United States. By and large, the closer the server, the quicker the connection. If you’re having difficulty locating one that collaborates with BBC America, those situated in New York or Los Angeles are often safe bets.
- Finally, pay a visit to BBC America and attempt to watch anything. There should be no issues, and the movie should begin immediately. If not, delete the cookies from your browser and retry. Are you still experiencing difficulties? We recommend trying a new server or contacting your VPN’s customer service staff.
How we selected the best VPN for BBC America
As previously said, not just any VPN will allow you to stream BBC America outside of the United States. This is only one of several factors we use to determine the best service to suggest. After all, we want you to have a high degree of online security and the ability to torrent securely if that is something you want. The following are some of the items we kept an eye out for:
- American servers: Without American servers, you will be unable to access US-only services such as BBC America. The more servers available, the simpler it will be to locate one that works, particularly during busy hours such as nights and weekends.
- Fast, dependable speeds: We search for VPNs that have a negligible influence on your download and upload rates. Assuming your base connection has enough bandwidth, the services we propose should be fast enough to simultaneously stream live HD video to a few devices.
- Streaming capabilities: Naturally, our choices must work with BBC America, but we also compare them to services such as Hulu, Sling TV, and Disney+. This way, you’ll never be bored.
- Security and privacy features: Security and privacy elements are non-negotiable when it comes to digital security. Our recommended VPN has 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, leak prevention, and a no-logs policy. Naturally, this is just a starting point, and we prefer VPNs that go beyond.
- User-friendliness: The VPN mentioned above includes user-friendly applications for a number of OS systems. We’re huge supporters of anything that lowers the entry barrier, whether it’s free trials, 24/7 assistance, or pre-configured security settings.
- Value for money: We compare VPNs to similarly priced rivals as part of our testing. If a service lacks the capabilities to justify its price, it is eliminated from consideration. Naturally, we also take into consideration long-term discounts and money-back guarantees.
While this may seem like a lengthy list of criteria, it is really just a minor portion of our overall testing procedure. To learn more, please read our full VPN testing process page.
How to watch BBC America from abroad: FAQs
Is it possible to unblock BBC America using a free VPN?
Free VPNs like to make grandiose promises, but in reality, they’re a rather terrible option for the majority of jobs. For example, since they get a high volume of traffic from a very limited pool of IP addresses, platforms like BBC America may easily ban all of their servers in a short period of time. Even if you locate one that works, the sheer volume of people will almost certainly result in very sluggish rates. Your selection may be further restricted by your monthly bandwidth constraint, which is often as low as 500MB (or just half an hour of standard-definition streaming).
Regrettably, the issues with these services are far deeper. We’ve seen several that flat-out mislead their consumers about the kind of records they maintain, and research indicates that this is a widespread issue in the free VPN industry. According to the research, around 40% of VPNs evaluated spilled some type of personal information, ranging from passwords to GPS locations. This is why we highly advise you to research a provider’s reputation and privacy policies before making a choice based only on pricing.
What is available on BBC America?
Perhaps predictably, BBC America airs many of the most popular programs in the United Kingdom, in addition to a continuously shifting collection of films. The following is a selection of what was available at the time of writing:
- Doctor Who
- The Graham Norton Show
- Killing Eve
- Orphan Black
- Antiques Roadshow
Is BBC America available for free viewing?
In a way, yes. Users may access BBC America’s on-demand programs without creating an account or paying for anything. To view the live stream, you must sign in with a compatible TV provider, one of which is YouTube TV, which is now offering a two-week free trial. Make careful to cancel before the trial period expires, since YouTube TV is normally $64.99 USD each month.