Are you looking for a Berlin Virtual Private Network (VPN)? We show you the best VPN for Berlin so you can keep your internet activity secret when traveling abroad and watch your favorite channels from home.
Many of us like to relax after a long day of touring by watching a few episodes of our favorite show. Due to geographical limitations, this is not always feasible. Certain services are simply not accessible in Germany, while others (like Netflix) alter their content from country to country, which means that the local library may be radically different from the one back home.
The good news is that a VPN enables you to access almost anything, from anywhere. This works because geo-restrictioned services determine your location based on your IP address. A VPN, on the other hand, substitutes this with the address of the server you’re connected to. As such, while living in Berlin, you may simply connect to a server in your home country to access all of your regular services. The best part is that VPNs encrypt your data, shielding it from prying eyes and guaranteeing that you may surf securely throughout your stay.
Additionally, you may use a VPN to get a Berlin IP address from overseas; we’ll detail how to do so later in the post.
Selecting a VPN may be time-consuming, but it does not have to be. One critical point to remember is that services that excel in one area (speed or security, for example) may struggle in another. As a result, we suggest investing in a more comprehensive VPN. In this manner, your selected provider will be capable of doing almost any job competently. The following is a summary of the criteria we used to cut down the available choices and identify the best Berlin VPN:
- Access to lightning-fast servers in Berlin or the nearby region.
- Compatible with a wide variety of geo-restricted services.
- Utilize cutting-edge security and privacy technologies to keep you secure.
- Refuse to maintain any logs that might be used to identify you.
- Comes pre-installed with applications for all major operating systems.
Best VPN for Berlin
NordVPN is our top recommendation for a VPN in Berlin. It provides access to thousands of servers located in several countries. Around 200+ of these are located in Germany, mostly in Berlin and Frankfurt. The speeds of this service are more than enough for HD live streaming, and in fact, you should have no trouble watching a 4K video. Users can connect to multiple devices simultaneously and access a wide variety of geo-restricted services (including Netflix).
This provider’s security arsenal is unmatched. To begin with, it protects your actions using 256-bit AES encryption and security against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. Additionally, a configurable kill switch, privacy-optimized servers, and integrated virus scanning are included. Notably, NordVPN adheres to a “no-logs” policy and therefore cannot track your online activity. If you need help, you may contact them through live chat at any time of day or night.
NordVPN offers client software for Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, and Android. Additionally, you may set up this service manually to operate with your wireless router.
How to use a VPN to secure your traffic in Berlin
Not to worry: even if you’re new to VPNs, they make browsing the web securely very simple. Indeed, you may get a German IP address and immediately begin encrypting your communication.
- Begin by subscribing to the VPN service mentioned above (we recommend NordVPN).
- Install the VPN application. You’re often limited to six simultaneous connections, so feel free to install it on whatever device you frequently use.
- Log in and connect to one of the German servers that are accessible. Bear in mind that to access geo-restricted services, you must use a server located in the appropriate country. For instance, only Canadian servers are capable of unblocking Crave. If you’re searching for a Berlin IP address, be sure to choose a Berlin-based server.
- Congratulations! You have now secured your internet traffic from prying eyes. If you encounter any difficulties, we suggest switching to a different server or contacting your VPN customer care staff for assistance.
Our approach to selecting the best VPN in Berlin
You should not rely on just any VPN to keep you secure when traveling. After all, many VPN providers promise to offer better security than they really do, and if your VPN maintains records, your actions are no longer truly secret. Keeping this in mind, we utilized the following criteria to narrow down the best VPN for Berlin:
- Security: We seek services that include sophisticated security features such as encryption, leak prevention, stealth mode, and a kill button. Without them, your traffic will be insufficiently safeguarded.
- Privacy: The VPN we suggest has a zero-logs policy, or at the very least, should not record any personally identifying information. We appreciate services that allow anonymous payment methods such as Bitcoin, in particular.
- Speed: If a VPN is excessively sluggish, users will just avoid it. As such, we demand that all of our premium services be sufficiently fast to support seamless torrenting and live streaming.
- Unblocking ability: Which geo-restrictioned services can this VPN unblock? To determine this, we performed a series of tests using platforms such as Netflix, HBO Max, and Disney+.
- Value for money: We will not waste your time with providers that charge more than their services are worth. Before recommending a service, we weigh all of its features, compare it to its competitors, and determine if it is reasonably priced.
- Ease of use: Because we cater to readers of all ability levels, our suggestions should be simple to implement. If a service can be readily installed on a broad variety of devices or support an infinite number of simultaneous connections, all the better.
Berlin VPN FAQs
Is it worthwhile to use a free VPN?
Free VPNs are often a bad option regardless of the purpose for which they are used. To begin with, they often only have a few servers available, which means they are rapidly overloaded by the volume of individuals attempting to use them. In other words, you may anticipate very sluggish connections and, often, monthly data caps that are lifted only if you pay. Additionally, these services are nearly always blocked by big streaming sites, which means that even if you discover one that is quite fast, you may be unable to view anything.
Regrettably, there are also major security issues to consider. A survey of over 100+ free VPN applications discovered that almost 40% were bundled with malware and another 18% used no encryption at all. In other words, their users were no safer than they were when surfing regularly and had very certainly undermined the security of their device. Rather than selecting a VPN only based on its cost, we highly recommend you research its reputation and privacy policies first.
Are VPNs legal in Germany?
Germany, like the majority of the rest of the globe, permits its people to use VPNs freely and does not restrict the services or reasons for which they may be used. In other words, virtual private networks (VPNs) are fully lawful in Germany.
Bear in mind that these are intended to safeguard your privacy, not to render you immune to legal consequences. If you are found engaging in unlawful behavior (harassing someone or downloading copyrighted content, for example), you will still be held accountable for your conduct, and the fact that you utilized a VPN may result in a heavier punishment. As long as you use VPNs only for legal purposes, you should have no problems.
How might a VPN assist me in remaining secure while traveling?
What’s more, while you’re at home, you have complete control over your network. You may configure the most restrictive firewalls, allowing connections only from particular IP addresses and even limiting the kinds of files that can be downloaded. When traveling, though, you are often forced to use public networks with much more relaxed privacy settings. As a result, they constitute an appealing target for hackers. That said, even if the network is hacked, the attacker will be unable to observe anything you do online with a VPN running.
While you are probably aware that VPNs may assist you in spoofing your location, this capability can be utilized for purposes other than unblocking streaming services. For example, many online banking platforms use automatic algorithms that detect when a user attempts to log in from a country other than the one in which they reside. Often, these attempted logins are flagged as fraudulent, and access to your account is temporarily limited. By connecting to a server in your home country, for example, you may minimize the chance that your bank will detect your absence.