Utilizing a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a good option for anybody seeking an ad-free internet experience. Colombian citizens and visitors to the nation may use a VPN to encrypt their internet activity, securely pirate files, and access geo-restricted streaming media sites such as US Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and ESPN, among others.
The VPN service mentioned in this article provides a diverse range of server locations, including those in Colombia. This implies that you may get a Colombian IP address regardless of whether you are in the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Germany, Canada, India, Sweden, or Japan.
VPNs are not all created equal. To be suggested as the top VPN for Colombia, the VPN service must adhere to the following criteria:
- Operates a global network of servers. Bonus points are awarded to servers located in Colombia.
- Easily unblock geo-restricted streaming services.
- Provides a prompt and dependable service.
- Maintains tight encryption standards to ensure that your location is never revealed.
- Allows for numerous concurrent connections.
- Provides superior customer service.
Best VPN for Colombia
NordVPN is based in Panama and is thus exempt from any obligatory data retention rules. It has a network of over 5,000 servers spread across several countries. Although Colombia is not mentioned, this service earns a position on the list due to its large server selection and other impressive features.
NordVPN effortlessly unblocks US Netflix, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, ESPN, Sky, and Sling TV, among others. This provider lives on a reputation for privacy and is an example of a totally log-free service.
Users may pick a server that is suited for certain applications, such as HD video streaming, double VPN, or Tor over VPN. As a result, NordVPN is very adjustable, which will appeal to power users. The desktop version includes helpful tutorials that aid in determining the optimal servers to use for a certain task, such as unblocking Netflix.
NordVPN does not keep any user data, and all traffic is encrypted using 256-bit AES-256, the OpenVPN protocol, a kill switch, and DNS leak prevention.
Android, Linux, iOS, Windows, and MacOS applications are available. The basic package allows for the simultaneous connection of multiple devices.
Our process for finding the best VPN in Colombia
Not all VPNs are created equal, with some being quicker or even more secure than others. We understand that you may not have the time to test several VPNs, which is why we’ve included our recommendations for the best VPN for Colombia! We have detailed our methods for identifying them below.
- Servers located across the globe: Whether you’re browsing from Colombia or going overseas, you should have access to servers located throughout the world. This enables you to locate a fast connection and circumvent any limitations that may exist. The top VPN for Colombia has servers in a lot of different countries.
- Speed: It’s possible that you’re currently using an inefficient VPN or that your ISP is restricting your bandwidth. Whatever the situation may be, the fastest VPNs may benefit. They have all acquitted themselves well in our speed tests. Additionally, they feature an infinite amount of bandwidth for continuous streaming and torrenting.
- Unblocking: Are you having trouble accessing your streaming service? Due to copyright limitations, such sites often use geo-blocking. Fortunately, the VPN mentioned above has the strongest unblocking capabilities and routinely operates with services such as Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, Caracol TV, and RCN TV.
- Security: At a minimum, we want a VPN to provide security through 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak prevention, and a kill switch. The best VPN for Colombia, on the other hand, goes above and beyond this. Some provide specialized Double VPN servers, while others offer additional features such as an ad blocker or password manager.
- Privacy: Do you want your ISP or government to be able to see what you’re doing online? Certain VPNs, including our suggested ones, have no-log policies. Indeed, some allow you to pay for your membership entirely anonymously using Bitcoin. We examined over 100 VPN logging policies to determine which one best safeguards your data.
- Ease of use: Even for novices, the top VPN programs are speedy and simple to use. Indeed, applications should be accessible on both desktop and mobile platforms at the very least. To further simplify matters, the top VPNs for Colombia all include 24-hour live chat and email assistance, as well as a wealth of tips and tutorials.
- Value for money: We’ve tested several VPNs at various price points and are certain that those listed below give the greatest value for money. Indeed, all of them match the aforementioned standards and provide money-back guarantees. Even better, you can save even more money by using one of our VPN coupon codes.
Our VPN testing approach includes searching for all of the above while thoroughly evaluating each VPN. As a result, we can confidently propose the best VPN for Colombia at the lowest possible price.
Suggestions for using a VPN in Colombia
Whether you reside in Colombia or are just traveling for pleasure or business, using a VPN can significantly improve your online experience. To configure it on your device, just follow these easy steps:
- The first step is to choose a VPN service that gives you the features you want. While the mini-reviews above give an overview, the thorough reviews at the conclusion may help you make a more nuanced choice.
- Once you’ve chosen a service, just sign up using your credit card and other personal information. Additionally, some services accept PayPal and Bitcoin.
- Once the provider properly processes your payment, you should receive an email from them with your login details.
- Install the appropriate applications on your smartphone. Avoid third-party installers and download them straight from the website or app store. Once the installation is complete, reboot your device.
- Log in and establish a VPN connection to the server of your choosing.
- Now that your internet connection is secure and confidential, you may view any information you like.
How to use Netflix in Colombia
Netflix is accessible worldwide, except for a few nations, including Iran and North Korea. However, this does not imply that the collection of information is the same across the board. Because of existing licensing arrangements, each nation has its own list of titles that the firm chooses to broadcast. Simply because an account was created in a nation, such as the United States or Canada, does not guarantee that you will have access to the same movies and programs regardless of your location.
If you connect to Netflix using a Colombian IP address, however, you will be immediately transferred to the local library. To move libraries (the United States has the most content, followed by Canada), you must first connect to a VPN and change your location to North America. It’s worth noting here that not all VPNs (particularly those that are free) function with Netflix. We’ve highlighted which ones to do in our mini-reviews, but you can always contact customer care if you have any issues.
How to watch Colombian television and access banks while traveling
Colombian individuals traveling abroad may use a VPN to easily access their home country’s television content, watch their local football league, and manage their online bank accounts.
Colombian television offers a diverse spectrum of content, including news, entertainment, current events, and sports. Caracol TV, RCN TV, Canal Uno, and Canal 13 are just a few of the most popular networks. While the majority allow live streaming online, some require that you have a local IP address in order to obtain access. This is where a VPN may help.
While banks and financial organizations are not required to geo-restrict their services, they must adhere to stringent internal compliance rules. Recurring login demands from outside the country may raise suspicions. If this occurs, you may be locked out of your account until you establish ownership. It’s inconvenient if you’re on the road and need access to an ATM or credit card. If you use a VPN to make it look as if you’re in Colombia, you should be fine.
Colombian VPN FAQs
Is it necessary to use a free VPN in Colombia?
It’s always tempting to use a free VPN since there is no upfront cash payment required and users believe they are receiving a great bargain. However, this is not always the case.
VPN companies that provide a free service have no interest in selling a premium product. They have a shady track record of mining your data and selling it to third-party marketers, as well as bombarding you with intrusive advertisements. At the very least, you’ll be exposed to weak encryption standards, bandwidth restrictions, a lack of customer service, limited server selection, and pitifully sluggish speeds. Such companies are unable to offer a number of VPN’s primary use cases, such as unblocking geo-restrictioned content or social networking applications.
By utilizing a free VPN, you also incur the genuine danger of installing malware, since VPN software itself is known to contain malware. Clearly, going with a respected, compensated service is in your best interest.
How does a virtual private network (VPN) work?
VPN software encrypts all internet traffic sent and received by and from your device and routes it via an intermediate server located outside your current location. This masks your true IP address and makes it look as though you’re in the desired area, enabling you to access geo-restricted content. Additionally, the encryption feature prevents would-be hackers from monitoring your internet activity.
Why should I use a virtual private network (VPN) in Colombia?
Colombia has a strong rate of internet penetration, with over 63% of the population having access. However, officials have expressed skepticism about the situation, claiming that online freedom of speech is not protected and that some information is difficult to obtain. According to internet advocacy group Freedom House, Colombia’s internet is only “partially free,” owing to an atmosphere of extensive monitoring, threats, and self-censorship.
Human rights advocates and campaigners have been killed in the South American nation, and press freedom organizations have condemned the situation. However, authorities are uninterested in halting the flow of these assaults, resulting in widespread self-censorship.
According to Freedom House, government monitoring and other unlawful tactics are widespread. Journalists, especially those who try to expose corruption and anomalies, are sometimes subjected to rigorous scrutiny. Authorities forced their way into the Facebook account of a writer who shot to national prominence after publishing numerous reports exposing local corruption in July. The courts declined to reverse the ruling.
If you are a Colombian activist, human rights advocate, blogger, or journalist, you may find our guide to blogging securely useful. The guide’s methods will assist you in communicating your message to the world without disclosing your personal identity or any other sensitive information.
Foreign gambling websites are also restricted in Colombia, which has been the case since 2017, after the passage of legislation requiring operators to seek a license. That is another reason to use a VPN—the software will fool Colombian ISPs into believing you are accessing the internet from an international location.
Torrenting is prohibited in Colombia; therefore, arrests are uncommon. If you frequently engage in this behavior, your ISP may block you. As such, it’s a smart idea to protect yourself by using a VPN. The VPN we’ve suggested here enables you to securely access torrents, and you won’t incur the wrath of any regulators if you connect to a VPN before partaking in the activity.
DISCLAIMER: PrivacyExplore does not advocate the use of a VPN to illegally access or download anything. Please examine local legislation in advance if you are unsure and always get competent guidance from a local lawyer.
Are VPNs legal in Colombia?
VPNs are, in fact, legal in Colombia. This is true for the majority of nations, with the exception of a handful that have rigorous restrictions (such as China). As such, you may use a VPN securely in Colombia and most other countries while traveling overseas. While VPNs are lawful, illicit acts such as torrenting copyrighted content remain prohibited regardless of whether a VPN is used.