So, why would you want to use a VPN? To begin with, they encrypt your internet traffic, enhancing your online security and preventing other parties from watching your actions, including hackers, network administrators, and your Internet Service Provider (ISP). Naturally, they offer a supplementary advantage that is especially beneficial if you like streaming.
VPN services provide you with the option of connecting to servers located all over the globe. When you join, your actual IP address is concealed and a temporary, region-specific address is assigned to you. Most geo-restricted services determine your location primarily via your IP address. When you use a VPN, you seem to be situated in the country in which your current server is located, circumventing any geographic limitations on the site and enabling you to access it normally.
Choosing a VPN might be challenging due to the abundance of providers competing for your attention. When determining the top VPN for Ireland, we searched for providers that met the following criteria:
- Provides high-speed connectivity and a steady connection.
- Provides a large network with at least one server in Ireland.
- Utilizes industry-standard encryption and incorporates extra security features.
- Has applications for the most widely used operating systems.
- Does not keep track of any information that may be used to identify you.
Best VPN for Ireland
NordVPN is fast enough to stream uninterrupted, high-definition videos. It operates over 5,000 servers in several locations, including over 30 in Ireland alone. Apart from offering servers tailored for privacy and peer-to-peer file sharing, this VPN can successfully unblock popular websites like Netflix, RTÉ Player, and Amazon Prime Video from any location on the planet.
This service places a high premium on your privacy. By default, it employs 256-bit encryption and provides security against DNS, WebRTC, port forwarding, and IPv6 leaks. Additionally, additional capabilities such as dual VPN, Tor over VPN, ad filtering, and virus scanning are available. With support for many cryptocurrencies and no records, this VPN allows you to sign up and surf virtually anonymously.
NordVPN offers client software for Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS. It works with network routers but requires human configuration.
How we choose the best VPN for Ireland
Comparing numerous VPNs might be challenging, but it is well worth the effort since each service is somewhat different from its competitors. For example, some value speed above everything else, while others place a premium on security. To guarantee that we are only proposing the best VPN for Ireland, we have developed a list of features that the best VPN must possess:
- Size and scope of the provider’s network: Generally, the bigger the provider’s network, the more dependable the experience is. Additionally, having servers in many countries potentially broadens the scope of information that you can access. We’d like to have some Irish servers accessible, since those nearly always deliver the fastest connections.
- Performance: Even the most secure VPN in the world is ineffective if it is too sluggish to use. We do monthly speed testing to ensure that the services we suggest are suitable for gaming, streaming, and torrenting.
- Unblocking capabilities: Certain services you use regularly may not be accessible in Ireland. Don’t worry; we evaluated each contender on a variety of platforms, like Hulu, Disney+, and HBO Max, to determine which services they can access while traveling.
- Security and privacy: These are critical considerations regardless of where you are around the globe. The VPN that we suggest must adhere to a no-logs policy, provide DNS and IPv6 leak prevention, provide a kill switch, and use 256-bit encryption. This is the very minimum; more complex security features (such as stealth modes) are always appreciated.
- Ease of use: We search for vendors that provide simple-to-use applications. If there is no connection restriction, 24/7 assistance, or any other feature that further reduces the barrier to access, all the better.
- Pricing: We will never propose a service that is overpriced. Along with pricing comparisons to similarly-featured competitors, we highlight any applicable bargains, discounts, or guarantees to ensure you never spend a penny more than necessary.
How to use a VPN to unblock geo-restricted content
You can simply access geo-restricted content from overseas, even if you’re new to VPNs:
- Start by selecting the appropriate VPN service (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the app version that is suitable for your device.
- Connect to one of the VPN servers in the country of your choice. For example, you’d use an Irish server to unlock the RTÉ Player but a US server to unblock Hulu.
- Attempt to load the video on your selected website. If it does not load immediately, delete your browser’s cache and cookies and then refresh the page.
If you wish to view a live event, we highly advise that you follow the instructions above before the event begins. This technique ensures that if something goes wrong, you’ll still have time to contact the customer support staff at your VPN service.
Ireland’s internet limitations
Most users in Ireland have unrestricted access to the internet. However, similar to the UK, Irish internet service providers (ISPs) restrict access to a variety of file-sharing and streaming sites known to contain unauthorized content. There are plenty of them, including The Pirate Bay, Putlocker, RARBG, and EZTV. Additionally, although Eircom has had a three-strike policy for copyright violations in place since 2015, other ISPs are expected to follow suit in the near future. Users who are detected downloading pirated content will get two warning letters, while a third infringement will result in their information being shared with the copyright owners.
Additional limitations may be on the horizon: According to The Times (paywall), a measure to prohibit pro-anorexia and pro-suicide websites has bipartisan backing. While it’s difficult to argue against restricting this kind of information, governments do not seem to understand that circumventing their often draconian blanket bans is laughably easy with a VPN. Indeed, one Pirate Bay proxy was the 115th most visited website in the United Kingdom (as of May 2018), even though the government has banned the original site since 2012.
VPN for Ireland FAQs
Is it possible to use a VPN in Ireland for Kodi and torrenting?
Due to the way P2P networks operate, when you download a file, you are effectively connecting to the computers of multiple other individuals. One negative side effect is that it’s rather simple to view the IP addresses of everyone with whom you’re connected. However, if you connect to a VPN server beforehand, all snoopers will see only that server’s IP address.
Assume you’re attempting to apprehend an observer closer to home. For instance, you may want to conceal the fact that you are viewing TV on Kodi from your ISP or workplace. Additionally, VPNs encrypt your online traffic, leaving it unreadable without the decryption key (which is almost impossible to hack).
Are VPNs legal in Ireland?
At the moment, VPNs are completely legal in Ireland. You will, however, be accountable for any crimes committed while connected.
Why should I use a VPN in addition to that?
If you routinely access your Bank of Ireland, Allied Irish Banks, or Citibank account online from Ireland and subsequently attempt to do so from another country (for example, while on vacation), you risk triggering automatic fraud protection systems. By connecting to one of your VPN’s Irish servers in advance, however, you may significantly lessen the risk of this occurring.
Additionally, VPNs guarantee that you will be able to access your favorite streaming services regardless of where you are around the globe. Indeed, keeping up with the newest episodes on platforms such as RTÉ Player, TG4 Player, and Virgin Player is straightforward. While traveling, you’re more likely to connect to public wifi, but with a VPN, you may surf freely without worrying about your actions being monitored.
Why can’t I simply use a free VPN?
While free VPNs may sound appealing, at first sight, we do not endorse them. This is for a variety of reasons, the most important of which is their performance. Although the networks of these services are often somewhat restricted, there is a steady stream of users. As such, anticipate very sluggish speeds. This results in a disappointing experience of high-definition streaming, with low-resolution video, frequent stuttering, and extended buffering delays. Additionally, free VPNs are often prohibited by large platforms, which means you may be unable to access your desired service.
There are very few free services, and “free VPNs” are no exception. Some operate on an ad-supported basis, which is not uncommon in principle. However, these advertisements are often extraordinarily huge, eye-catching, and obnoxious. Several of these services may even keep track of cookies on your device, allowing them to capture information about your favorite websites, how often you visit them, and when you visit them. This data may then be sold to anonymous third parties for profit, often without your explicit consent.