Despite having laws protecting freedom of speech, Nigeria has a high rate of censorship. Even voicing dissident views or viewing content unfavorable to the government might be dangerous. In this post, we’ll show you how to use a VPN in Lagos to avoid internet limitations placed on users.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is an online privacy technique that individuals in Nigeria use to avoid being monitored by the government. A VPN protects your online activity by encrypting your internet traffic and proxying your DNS queries, preventing your ISP, public Wi-Fi networks, and government snoops from monitoring what you do.
Additionally, a VPN enables you to get an IP address from another country. This enables you to access geo-restricted internet services and streaming platforms, which is ideal for traveling overseas.
Best VPN for Lagos
We’ve chosen the best VPN for Lagos based on the following criteria:
- Servers in (or near) Nigeria.
- Applications for every major operating system.
- To ensure guaranteed privacy, use strong encryption and a kill switch.
- Connections that are appropriate for HD streaming.
- To disguise VPN use from your ISP, employ obfuscation.
- Excellent value for money.
NordVPN is the best VPN for Lagos. It is a well-known VPN provider headquartered in Panama. It is a no-log service with excellent privacy features on all platforms. Additionally, the VPN includes tips on how to connect to the VPN through routers and how to install the service on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and smart TVs.
Regrettably, NordVPN does not have a presence in Nigeria. However, it has servers in South Africa, the United Arab Emirates, and Turkey, which should provide enough bandwidth from Lagos. Despite this little disadvantage, many buyers in Lagos like its broad features.
The NordVPN applications have a kill switch, obfuscated servers, OpenVPN (which must be enabled in the settings), DNS leak prevention, split tunneling, double hop connections for increased secrecy, and VPN over Tor. As a result, Nord is the most sophisticated VPN service in Lagos.
Additionally, it is configured by default to use the NordLynx protocol, which ensures some of the best VPN speeds available on the market. Additionally, it is one of the few platforms that integrates with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, iPlayer, HBO Max, and other major streaming services. You may try it risk-free due to the money-back guarantee.
How do we determine the best VPN in Lagos?
At PrivacyExplore, we thoroughly evaluate all VPNs before recommending them. The VPN in this article is recommended for users in Lagos because it satisfies the following criteria:
- Nigerian servers. VPNs with servers in Nigeria are quite uncommon. The good news is that we’ve discovered a number of providers with servers in or around Lagos. Those that do not were chosen due to their proximity to fast servers in Africa and the Middle East.
- Apps are available on all platforms. We chose VPNs that provide programs for Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS, as well as other popular platforms. This enables you to use the VPN to protect your privacy regardless of what devices you possess.
- A policy of no logs. This guarantees that the VPN provider does not keep track of your activities when connected to the VPN.
- VPN security features that are advanced. We want you to feel secure at all times while using a VPN in Lagos. That is why we chose VPNs with military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and sophisticated features such as obfuscation to mask VPN usage from your ISP.
- Rapid data transfer and access to streaming services. Fast VPN servers enable you to get the most out of your VPN, allowing you to watch in high definition, download quicker, and do data-intensive operations anonymously, such as video conferencing.
How to use a virtual private network (VPN) in Lagos
Once you’ve selected a VPN from this tutorial, you’re ready to begin using the internet without being censored or losing your privacy.
How to use a VPN in Lagos is as follows:
- Select the VPN suggested in this post and visit their website. NordVPN comes highly recommended.
- Subscribe to the VPN service and install the VPN client on your device.
- Connect to a server by selecting one and clicking the connect button. If you want a Nigerian IP address, you must choose a server in Nigeria.
- Verify that your VPN is connected successfully by accessing your browser or streaming service.
- Clear your browser’s cookies and cache if you notice any problems.
Lagos VPN FAQs
How severe is Lagos’s censorship?
In Nigeria, Facebook, WhatsApp, and YouTube, as well as the majority of other popular services and social media platforms, are accessible. However, the government has placed an indefinite ban on Twitter as of June 5, 2021. This is an indication of Nigeria’s deteriorating internet freedoms and growing censorship issues.
Additionally, the Nigerian authorities employ legal authority to restrict and shut down websites, most notably during and around election seasons and demonstrations. The Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) authorizes takedowns, and the government is attempting to expand the NBC’s censorship authority to cover ‘all internet media.’
Is it possible to unblock Twitter in Lagos using a VPN?
Yes. A VPN is the most effective method of unblocking Twitter in Nigeria. VPN encryption guarantees that you can use Twitter anonymously from your ISP, local network administrators, or the authorities.
Having said that, it’s important to remember that a VPN can only give privacy while you’re online; it cannot provide anonymity. If you log into your Twitter account and utilize it in a manner that makes it evident who you are, the government may still be able to locate your public messages.
Note that PrivacyExplore does not give legal advice, and illicit internet conduct remains illegal regardless of whether a VPN is used. Make certain that you do your own research prior to utilizing the internet in Nigeria.
Is it possible to use a free VPN in Lagos?
While there are a few trustworthy free VPNs, the reality is that the majority of free VPNs are cowboy services that you should avoid. The great majority of free VPNs have been exposed for their questionable data practices, which enable them to capture and sell your data to other parties.
Additionally, this 2018 CSIRO analysis finds that some free VPNs misrepresent the level of encryption they offer, have leaky applications, and even lace their apps with spyware. As a result, utilizing free VPNs is exceedingly dangerous.
If you’d like to use a VPN for free, we strongly advise you to take advantage of one of the trial periods given by the VPNs listed on this page. This will give you an idea of what a fully-featured premium VPN is capable of.