Whether you’re visiting or residing in Malaysia, a VPN is a must-have for internet security. To suggest the best VPN for Malaysia, we conducted comprehensive testing of VPNs for speed, streaming capabilities, and privacy.
A VPN, short for Virtual Private Network, encrypts all communication to and from your device, preventing hackers or government officials from determining your real location. Your data is tunneled via an intermediate server, which ensures its security.
Malaysia’s internet scene has deteriorated in recent years, with authorities censoring the press and shutting down websites that expose corruption issues. Additionally, there have been instances of bloggers and social media users being imprisoned for publicly expressing their opinions. We advocate using a VPN to protect your privacy when online in Malaysia.
Best VPN for Malaysia
Additionally, a VPN is an ideal alternative for expats residing in Malaysia who desire to access content such as BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, Sky Sports, or BeIN Sports. Residents in Malaysia who go overseas may also use a VPN to watch channels such as Astro.
Our top VPN for Malaysia suggestion is based on the following criteria:
- Service reliability and speed.
- A vast network of servers located around the globe enables expats to unblock content.
- Encryption settings that are strong enough to limit the risk of data loss.
- Convenience of usage.
It maintains a zero-logs policy, since it stores no information on user sessions, traffic, or timestamps of any kind. The regulation has foiled government agencies’ efforts to snoop on its users’ data. Therefore, if you’re seeking privacy, NordVPN has you covered.
The firm maintains more than 5,000 servers in several locations, making it an ideal alternative for safeguarding your online activities. Seven of them are in Malaysia, which means that locals going overseas may utilize the service to access content from home.
NordVPN is one of the few providers that categorizes servers based on their function. It features several specialized anti-DDoS features, video streaming, double VPN, Tor over VPN, and dedicated IP addresses—all of which ensure fast speeds and solid encryption.
The company partners with a variety of streaming platforms, including Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. Additionally, it supports torrenting.
By default, NordVPN encrypts internet data using the 256-bit AES protocol and 2,048-bit SSL keys. Additionally, DNS leak prevention is enabled. These are some of the most secure protocols available, which means you won’t have to worry about data breaches.
Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android are all supported.
How do we locate Malaysian VPNs?
Purchasing a VPN subscription might be challenging due to the abundance of competing providers. Not all VPNs are trustworthy, and many exaggerate the quality of their service. This makes it all too simple to wind up with substandard service.
At PrivacyExplore, we conduct in-depth VPN testing on hundreds of market-leading VPNs. These evaluations enable us to reliably suggest a VPN for Malaysia that provides all of the necessary privacy and security features. We’ve provided a summary of the characteristics we looked for in the VPN mentioned above.
- Global server network: We inspect each VPN to verify that it has a fast network of servers located across the world. We examine such servers to verify they provide sufficient bandwidth for streaming and to determine whether they have dedicated servers for streaming and torrenting. Additionally, we search for servers in Malaysia to guarantee that you may access local services privately or from overseas.
- Apps for all platforms: The top VPNs provide apps for all platforms, allowing you to connect to the VPN from your home or public WiFi. Our top Malaysian VPN recommendations include programs for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Firestick, and VPN-compatible routers. Additionally, several have browser extensions available for Firestick, Chrome, and Edge.
- Secure connection: We test each VPN software for IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks to verify that it delivers on its security promises. Additionally, we analyze VPN protocols to propose providers that use strong AES encryption. Finally, we check for extra security features like a kill switch and obfuscation to verify that the VPN provides you with everything you need to be secure in Malaysia.
- Advanced features: A VPN should offer a diverse set of functions to be helpful and adaptable. Additionally, we check for features like split-tunneling, port forwarding, Smart DNS, malware protection, ad filtering, and multi-hop connections. Each VPN is significantly different, so use our summaries and evaluations to choose which VPN for Malaysia is best for you.
- Excellent customer support: Whether you’re a seasoned VPN user or a newcomer, having a dependable customer support department to connect with is highly beneficial. We only suggest a VPN that provides email and live chat assistance in addition to a wealth of educational information on their website.
- Exceptional accessibility: We evaluate each VPN to guarantee that it can connect to popular services such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. Additionally, we verify that it maintains servers in and around Malaysia to provide access to local services such as online banking or Malaysian television (TV3, TV9, and TV1).
How to use a virtual private network (VPN) in Malaysia
This post discussed the finest Malaysian VPN alternatives; all that is left for you to do is choose your favorite and get started. Not to worry if you’ve never used a VPN before; getting started is simple.
- Choose the VPN service recommended above. NordVPN is our top recommendation.
- Create an account and enter your payment details.
- Install the appropriate applications on each of your devices.
- Log in to the VPN app using your registration information, which is often your email address and password.
- Choose a server in your selected location; for example, to access American Netflix, you would require a server in the United States. Any server will do so for anonymity. However, the closer the server is, the faster the connection.
- That’s all! A message of successful connection will appear, and your surfing will now be entirely safe and secure.
FAQs for Malaysian VPNs
Is it necessary to use a free VPN in Malaysia?
There are several free VPNs available online, but their speed and encryption standards fall short of those offered by premium solutions. HolaVPN is a perfect example of this, since it offers a free package yet may represent a danger to consumers.
Typically, free VPNs profit by blasting you with intrusive advertisements, installing tracking cookies and selling your data, or by unintentionally converting your machine into a gigantic botnet army. Malware infestation is also a possibility, which might result in massive data loss.
The VPN mentioned in this post provides a free trial, and has a money-back guarantee in case you’re unsure if you need the service at all. However, do not accept a random free one. If something sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is.
Is using a VPN against the law in Malaysia?
In Malaysia, there are no particular rules prohibiting the use of a VPN. This means you are not violating the law by attempting to circumvent content limitations or safeguard your internet connection. Bear in mind, however, that although using a VPN is not illegal, some online behaviors are.
VPNs are fairly prevalent in Malaysia, especially among security-conscious organizations that provide them to all workers.
How can I obtain pornographic content in Malaysia?
Malaysian internet officials have taken a strict stance against pornographic content, with access to it largely prohibited across the nation. Certain pirate websites are also prohibited, albeit the restrictions are not nearly as severe as those on adult content.
By using a VPN, you may conceal your true location from Malaysian ISPs. To access such content, just sign up for the VPN suggested, log-in, choose a server outside Malaysia—ideally in the United States or Europe, where no restrictions currently exist—and surf normally.
How much internet is available for free in Malaysia?
If you attempt to access the web from a Malaysian IP address, you will encounter severe content restrictions, and internet freedom is nearly non-existent. Numerous blogs, news websites, and social media accounts have been shut down for allegedly criticizing the administration.
Because of these factors, the advocacy group Freedom House has rated Malaysia’s internet as “partially free.” This is despite the fact that more than 84 percent of Malaysia’s population is online. The same assessment notes that press freedoms are “not free,” citing the intimidation of bloggers and journalists as a factor in this. Our results from the 2021 internet censorship study corroborate these figures.
In 2016, Malaysia’s government broke promises not to censor the internet and blocked various websites that had reported on Prime Minister Najib Razzak’s corruption allegations. Malaysian Insider, an online news service, closed its doors as a direct result of this decision.
Malaysian authorities’ efforts to increase internet connectivity throughout the nation have undoubtedly paid off, with a particular emphasis on inexpensive cell phones in rural regions. However, this has resulted in an increase in political knowledge and criticism of public authorities—things about which the Malaysian government is highly concerned.
Simultaneously, authorities are fighting for ever broader censoring powers. There are measures to enhance both the Official Secrets Act and the Communication and Multimedia Act, granting more control over news websites, internet service providers, and regular consumers. The web will very certainly be monitored more closely in the future.
Can I use a VPN to get a Malaysian IP address?
A Malaysian IP address enables you to access previously blocked websites and stream content. A VPN is the fastest and simplest option to get a Malaysian IP address, with the whole procedure taking just a few minutes.
Not only will a VPN provide you with a Malaysian IP address, but it will also safeguard your connection while you surf. This enables you to access a wealth of fresh content without jeopardizing the security of your personal or financial information.
Is it possible to stream Disney Plus in Malaysia using a VPN?
Disney Plus is accessible in Malaysia, although content may be restricted in comparison to other countries such as the United States of America and the United Kingdom. Therefore, if you want to watch Disney Plus indefinitely in Malaysia, a VPN is a good choice.
Alternatively, you may choose to watch Disney Plus movies or episodes that are only accessible in Malaysia, in which case a VPN would suffice. If you want to watch Malaysian TV from overseas, you’ll need a VPN with dependable servers optimized for streaming, so always keep speed and connection strength in mind when choosing your selection.
Is it possible to access torrent websites in Malaysia using a VPN?
Yes. Using a VPN is the most effective approach to circumventing ISP-imposed limitations. By connecting to a VPN server located in a country that allows access to torrent sites, you may simply acquire access to such resources in Malaysia. Best of all, a VPN encrypts your data and hides the fact that you’re accessing and downloading torrents from your ISP. This preserves the privacy of your online activities.
How can I use a VPN to access TikTok in Malaysia?
If you’re in Malaysia and want to visit TikTok discreetly, you may do so by using a VPN. A VPN encrypts your data, preventing your ISP and government from tracking your online activities. This enables you to use TikTok anonymously. Additionally, a VPN hides your IP address from TikTok’s servers, providing you with extra anonymity while using the service.
To use a VPN with TikTok in Malaysia, simply subscribe to the VPN recommended in this tutorial. After that, install the VPN on your device and build a secure tunnel by connecting to a server. After establishing the VPN connection, download and start TikTok to begin using it safely.
Which VPNs should you avoid in Malaysia?
Due to Malaysia’s political context, it is critical to choose services that provide a high degree of data protection. With this in mind, we advise against using free VPNs with lax privacy rules and a dearth of security features.
VPNs for Malaysia must also have local servers. This enables you to access high-speed internet and utilize local Malaysian services without being monitored by your internet service provider. Regrettably, few VPN providers provide servers in Malaysia, which is why we suggest sticking to our recommendation.
Below is a list of VPNs that have been identified as being unsafe and unreliable. These VPNs should all be avoided since they have been shown to have security flaws, data breaches, or questionable privacy practices.
- Earth VPN
- Betternet VPN
- Onavo Protect
- Cryptostorm VPN
- Liberty VPN
- VPN Secure