Important: In 2021, Myanmar’s military ousted the democratically elected government and immediately banned VPN use. However, with arbitrary arrests and state-sponsored violence becoming more prevalent in the aftermath of the coup, it is more critical than ever to maintain open communication with people outside the nation. Nonetheless, we recommend that readers evaluate the possible repercussions carefully before using a VPN in Myanmar.
Myanmar’s internet has been assigned a resounding “not-free” classification by advocacy group Freedom House. This is primarily because the army closely tracks what people say and do online, shuts off internet connections when demonstrations get too big to manage, and ruthlessly punishes individuals who express divergent views.
Our suggestion for the top Myanmar VPN is based on the following criteria:
- Service reliability and speed.
- A vast network of servers located around the globe enables expats to unblock content.
- Encryption settings that are strong enough to guarantee privacy and anonymity.
- Convenience of usage.
- Apps for Android and iOS.
Best VPN for Myanmar
NordVPN is our preferred Myanmar VPN provider. It has been in operation for more than a decade and is continually improving its service. Speed is lightning quick, and privacy is unmatched.
The organization simply does not have any data, which means it has no record of user sessions, traffic, or timestamps. Additionally, it is based in Panama, which means it is not subject to any statutory data retention rules.
By default, the organization encrypts internet data using the 256-bit AES protocol and 2,048-bit SSL keys. DNS leak protection, WebRTC leak protection, and IPv6 leak protection are all available, and the business even provides its own fast, privacy-focused protocol called NordLynx.
NordVPN maintains over 5,000 servers in several locations, making it a practical option for any online activity. Special servers are available for greater privacy, torrenting, and Tor over VPN. There are no servers in Myanmar. However, there are several locations around Southeast Asia, Europe, and North America.
There are versions available for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, and Android.
How can I set up a VPN connection in Myanmar?
We’ll walk you through a few usage examples in this section. Take the following measures to ensure a smooth and flawless experience:
Utilization of a VPN in Myanmar
- Choose our suggested VPN provider and select the package that’s right for you.
- Create an account and pay for the service.
- After that, download the associated applications on your phone or computer.
- Clear your browser’s cookies and cache in all of your web browsers (Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer) to remove outdated location markers.
- Restart your computer or device.
- Log into the VPN application by opening it.
- Choose a server in the nation from which you are trying to receive an IP address, such as the United States or the United Kingdom, or a local IP address in Myanmar if you are going overseas.
- Allow a few seconds to establish the connection. After that, a green notification icon should appear on the taskbar.
- Browse the web normally.
As a result, host websites will assume your location is in the country to which you are currently connected. This enables the provision of services such as streaming media content and local online banking.
Certain VPNs to avoid at all costs
One of the drawbacks of utilizing a VPN is the service provider’s commitment to privacy protection. While most VPNs have embraced this commitment and fiercely protected users’ privacy, there are others that do not. We strongly advise you to avoid them.
Here are two VPN companies that we believe you should avoid:
HideMyAss (HMA), situated in the United Kingdom, has been accused of turning over user data to law enforcement authorities on at least two consecutive instances.
In 2011, it was revealed that the business aided the FBI in its investigation into the Sony Pictures breach. The US law enforcement agency was reportedly aided by HMA in identifying and apprehending suspect Cody Kretsinger. The aspiring hacker attempted to conceal his traces throughout the assault by using HMA. What made problems worse was that, at the time, HMA had an official ‘no-logs’ policy.
HideMyAss was also responsible for the arrest of former US district judge Chris Dupuy. The judge was accused of portraying two women as call girls and trying to maintain his anonymity through the use of HMA. After the two ladies complained, law enforcement authorities intervened. Once they suspected the usage of a VPN, they followed the steps back to HMA, which completed the investigation.
We’ll update this post if HMA alters its logging rules, but in the meantime, if you’re searching for another service, here’s our list of HideMyAss options.
Israel-based Hola unlawfully monetized its almost 50 million user base by establishing a large botnet. The bandwidth of users was sabotaged to conduct Distributed Denial of Service attacks, promote illegal content, and participate in pornography.
We recommend that you avoid this lousy VPN provider.
The Methodology: Choosing the best Myanmar VPN
Myanmar’s internet is closely regulated, and the government watches everything you do online. As a result, we’ve prioritized VPNs that go above and beyond to protect your identity, as well as those that are capable of circumventing country-wide internet censorship. This is precisely what we searched for while suggesting the best VPN for Myanmar:
- Security tools: We demand almost unbreakable encryption (256-bit AES or higher), as well as security against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, as well as a kill switch. Support for newer protocols such as WireGuard would be ideal, since they are quicker, simpler to audit, and less likely to have significant undetected vulnerabilities.
- Privacy-enhancing features: A critical factor is to ensure that your VPN maintains a no-logs policy. However, we appreciate those that have anti-tracking capabilities and allow you to sign up anonymously using cryptocurrencies.
- Unblocking capabilities: A stealth mode is required since it enables you to circumvent the country’s internet censorship and access services like Skype, Facebook, and Twitter, even if the military bans them again.
- Speed and dependability: It is insufficient to have a VPN that operates intermittently. We’ve only picked the quickest, most reliable providers to ensure that your security is never jeopardized.
FAQs on browsing safely in Myanmar
Is it possible to use a free VPN in Myanmar?
While there are several free VPNs available, they often provide an incredibly rudimentary service with inadequate encryption specifications. Given the present state of Myanmar, it would be incredibly unwise to entrust your well-being to a corporation that believes the bare minimum is acceptable.
Is it possible to unblock Facebook in Myanmar using a VPN?
Although Facebook was only temporarily disabled, if the military blocks access again, a VPN will enable you to access it anyway. You may want to consider moving to a different communication network, such as Signal or Telegram, solely because Facebook gathers so much personally identifiable information about its users.