If you live in New York State, you may need a VPN to access websites and services from other countries. For instance, you may need to connect to a server in another state in the United States to avoid sports blackouts. Alternatively, you may connect to a server located in a different country, such as Canada. Occasionally, however, you may want to connect to a server located closest to your actual location (for example, in New York City) to benefit from the security advantages of a VPN without sacrificing the quality of your connection.
If you’re curious, VPNs operate by encrypting and routing your internet traffic via one of their servers. This implies that if you connect to a server in New York City, for example, your actual IP address will be concealed and you will be assigned a New York City IP address. This creates the illusion that you are surfing from that place, which is advantageous for accessing geo-restricted websites and services. You may even discover that you benefit from higher surfing speeds, especially if your ISP throttles your connection.
Numerous criteria were considered while determining the best VPN for New York. This enabled us to sort through the many VPNs available on the market, the majority of which are not worth your time or money. What we looked for in each VPN was the following:
- Numerous servers are located around the world, including the United States (and New York State).
- Consistently fast streaming and torrenting speeds.
- Secure your data using high-end encryption.
- Do not store any user-identifiable logs.
- Provides assistance 24 hours a day, seven days a week through live chat and email.
- Per account, several concurrent connections are permitted.
Best VPN for New York
NordVPN has over 5,000 servers at the time of writing. What’s remarkable is that roughly 2,000 are based in the United States, with many in New York getting a New York IP address. As a result, consumers have a plethora of options. This VPN provides unrestricted bandwidth with no throttling. This means you can watch Netflix and Amazon Prime Video without interruption or latency.
If you’re looking for more protection, NordVPN’s Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers may help. Additionally, 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak prevention, and a kill switch functionality are included. Due to NordVPN’s strong no-logs policy, all of your personal information remains private. You’ll be able to connect to multiple devices simultaneously, and you’ll also have access to 24/7 live chat and email assistance.
You may access NordVPN’s desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile applications with a NordVPN account (Android and iOS). Additionally, apps and browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox are available on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. For usage with compatible routers, manual configuration is needed.
How to use a VPN to get a New York IP address
Not sure how to use a VPN? In a matter of minutes, our step-by-step instructions will have you connected to a VPN server in New York State.
- Join a VPN service that has servers in New York. We suggest NordVPN in particular.
- Download the VPN client or browser extension that is suitable for the device you are using with your new VPN.
- Before connecting to a New York server, log into the VPN app. After that, you’ll have a New York IP address.
- You may now take advantage of the benefits of a New York IP address. This may imply better download speeds or the ability to view geo-restricted content.
- Having difficulty logging into a website or service? To ensure that the changes take effect, you may need to delete your browser’s cache and cookies. Otherwise, we recommend contacting the customer service of your VPN provider for further help.
Our approach to finding the best VPN in New York
If you live in New York City or New York State, you may need the use of a VPN for a variety of reasons. This may be to gain access to geo-restricted content while traveling or to enhance your online security. In any case, we’ve detailed our process for locating the top VPN for New York so you can do the same.
- Servers worldwide: With a global network of servers spanning dozens of countries, including Canada and the United Kingdom, you’ll be able to access a broad variety of geo-restricted content. However, having servers located near your actual location in New York facilitates quicker connectivity.
- Speed: Unfortunately, some VPNs are too sluggish for streaming and torrenting. We evaluated many providers to identify the fastest VPN accessible, all of which offer unlimited bandwidth. Connect to a local server for the best speeds. This is most likely a server in New York City in this instance.
- Unblocking: While in New York, you may find yourself needing to unblock websites from other US states and countries. However, you may go overseas and need access to your regular content from a remote location. This requires a VPN with a high level of unblocking capability—the VPN mentioned above meets this requirement.
- Security: Do you want to avoid being a victim of hackers? A VPN encrypts your internet traffic and guards against data leakage. The top VPN services for New York State and New York City provide all the necessary security features. Additionally, some offer additional features such as dual VPN servers.
- Privacy: The U.S. is part of the Five Eyes intelligence organization, and your ISP may monitor your internet activity. To safeguard your privacy, utilize a VPN with a strong no-logging policy. After analyzing 100+ VPN logging policies, we identified those that allow you to remain anonymous online.
- Ease of use: We only suggest VPNs that are simple to use, allowing you to connect to a server fast and simply and continue surfing and streaming. Another critical element is 24/7 assistance, which should be available through live chat and email.
- Value for money: A VPN does not have to be prohibitively expensive. It should provide a range of membership choices and a money-back guarantee, allowing you to test it risk-free! While some VPNs lack functionality and are therefore expensive, we’ve identified the best values and even provided VPN discount codes for them.
Best VPN for New York: FAQs
Why am I required to have a VPN in New York City?
There are several reasons why you should use a VPN in New York City. You may encounter websites that are geo-restricted and require a US IP address to access their content. While it is less frequent, some content may be accessible exclusively in the New York metropolitan region and requires a New York City IP address. You may be experiencing ISP throttling and be in need of better streaming and torrenting speeds. This may be accomplished by connecting to a server that is physically closer to your location.
Additionally, you may want to utilize a VPN in New York for security reasons. The US is a member of the Five Eyes intelligence organization, and monitoring of US citizens and residents, especially protestors and journalists, has increased significantly. What’s especially worrisome is that this monitoring is conducted in complete secrecy and without any meaningful supervision. While in the United States, using a VPN guarantees that your data is encrypted, protecting it from snoopers.
Is it legal for me to use a free VPN in New York City?
While several free VPN services provide New York City servers, we do not suggest them. One difficulty you’ll encounter is sluggish speeds. Free VPNs attract a large number of users, resulting in high server stress. As a result, free VPNs are incompatible with streaming and torrenting. If you need access to a server in another US location or nation altogether, you may discover that free VPNs are insufficient. This is because they have much fewer server locations.
If you’re worried about your internet privacy, it’s better to avoid free VPNs. Some do not even encrypt your internet traffic, while others profit from recording and selling your data. In a nation like the US, where monitoring of its people is steadily increasing, a free VPN provides insufficient security. In comparison, the best VPNs for New York City use encryption and do not retain any identifying information, allowing you to surf anonymously.
Is it legal to use a VPN?
In the majority of nations, there are no regulations prohibiting the use of a VPN. The only time you’ll run afoul of the law is if you use these services to conduct online crimes. This may potentially be an aggravating factor in certain nations, resulting in a higher penalty. However, as long as you do not do any unlawful acts, there is no reason why you should run afoul of the law.
Do I need to use a VPN in the United States of America?
VPNs are essential privacy tools regardless of your location. After all, they encrypt your data, assisting you in concealing your actions from your Internet service provider, company, and government.
Of course, there are other reasons to utilize a VPN in the United States of America. These include circumventing ISP throttling, unblocking geo-restricted services in your region, and maintaining data security when utilizing public WiFi networks.
Is it possible to obtain a permanent New York IP address?
Generally, if a VPN has US servers, they are located in Los Angeles or New York. As such, there is no reason to fear losing the ability to obtain an IP address from New York City.
Certain VPN services enable you to pay a small monthly fee for your own US IP address, but there is no assurance that they will include New York. Additionally, this is not required for the majority of individuals.