Each device that accesses the internet is assigned an IP address. This information is used to identify the host or network, as well as its general location. A VPN can guard against your genuine IP address being disclosed, thereby disguising your location. A VPN, short for “virtual private network,” does this by encrypting and directing your device’s online traffic via one of its servers.
For a variety of reasons, it is highly suggested that you use a VPN in Nigeria. Using a high-quality commercial VPN, in particular, may increase internet freedom without fear of governmental surveillance. Unblocking them will require connecting to a VPN server located outside Nigeria.
Nigeria VPN selection criteria
There are several VPNs accessible, making it simple to pick one. However, the hard aspect is picking the proper VPN. By presenting you with our results, we want to alleviate some of the stress associated with the procedure. We’ve combed the globe in pursuit of the best VPN for Nigeria. To do this, we restricted the field of candidates to those who satisfied the following criteria:
- Worldwide network of reliable and speedy servers.
- Encryption and a no-log policy provide strong security.
- Capable of unblocking major geo-blocked streaming services.
- Desktop and mobile applications that are easy to use.
- Customer service that is prompt and courteous.
- Money-back guarantee.
How to use a virtual private network in Nigeria
Using a VPN is the same regardless of whether you’re in Nigeria or another nation. What you should do if you want to use a VPN in Nigeria is as follows:
- Choose the VPN that is the best fit for you—NordVPN is our top pick.
- Install the VPN program. Find out if this is the correct version for your device!
- Open the VPN and choose a server—you’ll have a choice of several nations. Certain VPNs will even recommend an optimal server for your area.
- You are now secured with a VPN! If you’re attempting to access content that is geo-restricted, you may need to clear your cookies to ensure that any changes take effect.
Best VPN for Nigeria
NordVPN is our top recommendation for a VPN in Nigeria. It beats all rivals in our performance tests and has one of the largest VPN networks on the market, with over 5,000 servers. These are located in several countries worldwide, enabling you to access content blocked in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Japan, among others. With so many servers, there is less burden on each, which improves performance and stability.
NordVPN is a wonderful choice for safely accessing your regular online services while traveling. Streaming services such as Netflix, HBO Go, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer are included in this category. Naturally, this will also enable you to utilize sites such as Twitter in Nigeria. The download speeds were exceptional, and our streaming tests revealed no buffering or latency.
Apps enable you to search for servers by country or specialty. Dedicated IP, P2P, Onion Over VPN, and Double VPN are all possible options. Each NordVPN server shown in the list includes information on the server’s load percentage (the lower the percentage, the faster the server will be).
While speed and convenience are critical with a VPN, the security it offers is also critical. This is especially true in nations like Nigeria, where internet freedom is somewhat restricted. NordVPN’s security standards are unmatched. It bills itself as a “100% anonymous VPN” and is headquartered in Panama, outside of the EU and US. Indeed, it adheres to a rigorous zero-logging policy and has 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak prevention, and a kill button.
Apps for NordVPN are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux. It may be set manually on some routers. Additionally, an Android TV app and browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox are available.
Our process for identifying the best VPN in Nigeria
Not every VPN is appropriate for usage in Nigeria, especially when it comes to circumventing regulations and ensuring your online safety. However, there are other variables to consider while selecting a VPN. Our technique included examining each of the top VPNs for Nigeria for the following characteristics:
- Servers worldwide: Servers located across the world: It is critical that your VPN has servers in a variety of regions. This will provide you with more options regarding locating a fast server close to your location and unblocking region-locked and government-censored content. The VPN we’ve chosen has servers in dozens of countries.
- Speed: Numerous VPNs lack the connection speeds necessary for streaming and torrenting. Our speed tests revealed the quickest VPN, which provides unlimited bandwidth. This means you can browse, watch, and torrent without encountering annoying performance problems like poor resolution, latency, or buffering.
- Unblocking: Nigeria has a degree of internet censorship, with news and political websites prohibited. Notably, the Nigerian government has announced its intention to restrict Twitter in 2021. With this in mind, we sought out a VPN that provides the most robust unblocking capabilities, allowing you to continue accessing your preferred online content as usual.
- Security: Security dangers are ever-present on the web, regardless of whether you’re in Nigeria or going overseas. However, by using a VPN, you can significantly lower your chances of being a victim. The best VPN for Nigeria encrypts all of your internet traffic and also includes a kill switch and DNS leak prevention.
- Privacy: Internet users in Nigeria have been detained for their online activities, notably bloggers and journalists. Additionally, it’s important to note that the Nigerian government has pushed to “enhance its surveillance capabilities,” according to Freedom House. We studied over 100 VPN logging policies to discover the best VPN for privacy protection.
- Ease of use: We recognize that this may be your first experience with a VPN. Even if not, it is highly improbable that you are looking for anything other than a user-friendly experience! The best VPN for Nigeria should provide simple-to-use desktop and mobile applications, as well as live chat and email support (available 24 hours a day).
- Value for money: Despite providing all of the above, the VPN mentioned in this post is reasonably priced. This is especially true if you choose a longer-term subscription plan. Make sure to take advantage of our VPN discount coupons to maximize your savings. Bear in mind that the VPN mentioned above has a money-back guarantee.
Our VPN testing methodology article goes into further detail about how we evaluate and assess each VPN based on performance and security factors.
Why should I use a virtual private network (VPN) in Nigeria?
In Nigeria, using a VPN is entirely legal. Indeed, we highly urge you to do so. Not only are there internet restrictions in Nigeria, but you will also come across geo-restricted websites. This is often the case with popular streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. The finest VPNs are capable of bypassing these geo-restrictions.
Additionally, the best VPN for Nigeria may help you improve your online security. Nigerian authorities have been known to arrest internet users (especially bloggers and journalists) for their online activities, with many being prosecuted for “cyberstalking.”
There is significant worry, especially among opposition parties, that the administration may seek to tighten down on online criticism in the near future. Those worries were heightened in March 2018 when the Senate introduced a hate speech measure that would severely restrict Nigerians’ right to free expression. In June 2021, the government took it a step further and blocked Twitter entirely. The impetus for this was straightforward: the country’s president was enraged that Twitter had deleted a message of his that threatened harsh punishment for secessionists. Not only can you circumvent such country-wide bans by utilizing a VPN, but you can also safeguard your privacy and surf the internet without worrying about who could be monitoring you.
Is it possible to use a free VPN in Nigeria?
Yes, a free VPN is available in Nigeria. However, doing so involves considerable danger. It’s worth noting that free VPNs do not provide the same level of security. Many of them lack critical security safeguards, leaving your data vulnerable to intrusion. While Nigeria has experienced significant growth in the number of public WiFi hotspots, this has increased the risk of hackers and viruses. Your personal information is in danger without robust encryption and a kill switch that automatically cuts off your traffic if the VPN connection fails.
Believe it or not, many free VPN services include viruses. This is often accomplished through the use of spam advertisements that are as unpleasant and irrelevant as they are hazardous. Certain free VPNs do not adhere to a no-logs policy. This is a deal-breaker for us since we believe your personal information should stay private. If a free VPN is gathering your data and online behavior for commercial gain, they may easily sell it to other parties.
Apart from security concerns, free VPNs often operate poorly. This is because they have an insufficient number of users and servers to satisfy demand. Bandwidth limits are typical of free VPNs, and as a result, streaming without significant buffering or latency will be challenging. In general, free VPNs provide an infuriating experience that is not worth your time or effort.