YouTube has grown to be the largest archive of user-generated and commercial videos in the world. Regrettably, YouTube is not accessible everywhere. YouTube is entirely banned in certain places, such as China. Certain videos on YouTube are geo-restricted due to content licensing agreements or the uploader’s request.
When you attempt to view a geo-restricted video on YouTube while overseas, you may see one of the following error messages:
- “The uploader has not made this video available in your country.”
- “This video is not available in your country.”
A VPN is the most efficient remedy for this issue. A VPN, which stands for Virtual Private Network, encrypts your internet connection and passes it via an intermediate server located in a location of your choice. This changes your IP address, which is used to identify your location on YouTube and other websites.
To guarantee a high-quality stream capable of unblocking the films you want, we highly advise you to use a commercial VPN service. We’ve suggested the best VPN for YouTube that takes the following factors into account:
- Without buffering, fast download rates for HD and even UHD streaming.
- A vast worldwide network of servers enables you to unblock almost anything.
- Maximum security and privacy.
- Simple and responsive desktop and mobile applications.
NordVPN has a network of over 5,000 servers in several countries. A select few are geared towards “ultra-fast streaming,” which enables you to view HD and even 4K videos on YouTube. The firm adheres to a stringent no-logging policy and makes use of unbreakable encryption.
Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android applications make it simple to choose a place from a map or a list of nations. NordVPN is one of the finest deals on the market, with a single basic subscription allowing for up to six simultaneous connections.
Our process for finding the best VPN for YouTube
When selecting a VPN, there are several variables to consider. Indeed, there are several considerations regarding utilizing a VPN with YouTube (such as server speed for streaming). Our technique considers the following:
- Servers located across the world: YouTube is accessible in many nations. However, a few governments have outlawed the video site. China is included in this. Having access to servers located around the globe enables you to connect to one in a location where YouTube is accessible and circumvents limitations. Additionally, you may choose one that is physically closer to your location for quicker streaming rates.
- Speed: Naturally, one of the most critical elements to consider is speed. Only the fastest VPNs enable you to watch in HD and even 4K without experiencing latency or buffering. These VPNs, all of which provide unlimited bandwidth, were found via our speed testing. As such, streaming YouTube content should be a breeze.
- Unblocking: You may be attempting to view YouTube from a country where it is blocked. Of course, you may desire to unblock more content, such as a streaming service such as Netflix or your online banking account. In any event, this necessitates using a VPN with powerful unblocking capabilities, such as those discussed in this essay.
- Security: It’s critical to understand that certain VPNs lack critical security measures, leaving you open to security attacks. This is why we search for VPNs that have encryption, a kill switch, and anti-DNS leak protection. In certain situations, you’ll find additional features such as an ad-blocker or password manager for further security.
- Privacy: While many VPN providers promise to maintain no records, this is not always the case. We evaluated over 100 VPN logging settings to disentangle reality from fiction. Additionally, most of the top VPNs for YouTube allow you to sign up for and pay for your subscription anonymously (you can do this by using a burner email account and paying in Bitcoin).
- Ease of use: Certain VPN applications are just superior to others. Connecting to a server or modifying your configuration should take no more than a few seconds. Our extensive testing guarantees that only the most user-friendly VPN programs are chosen. Additionally, they all feature 24-hour live chat and email assistance.
- Value for money: Even though many VPNs lack some of the aforementioned features, they are sometimes more costly than the best VPN for YouTube! Of course, it helps that we provide a VPN discount code to help you save even more money on the VPN discussed in this article. Each of them comes with a money-back guarantee, allowing you to test them risk-free.
Avoid “free” VPN services.
A short Google or app store search will almost certainly bring up a slew of ostensibly “free” VPN services. While they may seem attractive, we highly advise against utilizing them without first carefully reviewing their privacy policies and terms and conditions.
Numerous VPNs monitor your traffic, sell it to marketers, and, in some instances, insert advertising directly into your browser. Some of them have malware payloads capable of infecting your device.
Most free VPNs provide a far smaller variety of servers, restrict your downloads, and throttle your bandwidth. You may need to wait in line to connect.
As a result, we highly suggest using the premium VPN service mentioned above, which has a money-back guarantee, a free trial, or both.
How to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) for YouTube
VPNs may seem sophisticated, but they are really rather simple to configure. Have you never used a virtual private network (VPN) before? We’ll guide you through the straightforward process below.
- Select the VPN service you want to use. NordVPN is recommended.
- Download the VPN software, ensuring that the version you download is compatible with your device’s operating system.
- Connect to a server in the country in which the content you’re looking for is accessible.
- Open YouTube and go to the video you want to see.
- Consider playing a video. Any error notices should be removed, and the content should begin to load fairly instantly. If not, remove your browser’s cookies and restart the page.
Utilize a VPN to access premium content on YouTube.
YouTube’s commercial content offerings, such as YouTube Red, paid videos, and paid channels, are much more restricted. YouTube Red is currently only accessible in the countries listed below:
- New Zealand
- United States
- United Kingdom
It’s worth noting that you’ll need a credit card or PayPal account issued in the United States to subscribe to YouTube Red. If you’re a member, you may access Red content by connecting your VPN to one of those countries.
Paid videos include movies and television series that may be rented or purchased directly from YouTube or from individual uploaders. Because uploaders often establish their own conditions, regional limits vary greatly.
Not only may you use a VPN to access content that is not accessible in the nation you are visiting, but you may also discover that another country offers a better bargain. Star Trek: Beyond, for example, costs $14.99 in the United States, but just 11.99 Euros ($13.42) in Europe. If you purchase or rent enough movies and television programs, a VPN may easily pay for itself.
VPN for YouTube FAQs
Why would you want to use a VPN with YouTube?
When accessing Youtube, a VPN may be used for a variety of objectives.
The first is confidentiality. If you connect to a VPN and use incognito or private browsing mode on your web browser, you may access the site without being monitored. Your search history and viewing history will not be linked to your Google account or advertising ID. Additionally, the VPN will conceal your activity on Youtube from your ISP and network administrator.
Second, you may unblock region-locked videos on YouTube by using a VPN. Certain videos are only available in certain countries. By connecting to a VPN server located in a certain nation, you may get access to films that are generally restricted to that country’s citizens.
Finally, YouTube is unavailable in some countries. A solid VPN service can help you circumvent restrictions and unblock YouTube.
YouTube is prohibited in which countries?
Certain nations regulate YouTube, requiring internet service providers to prevent people’s access to the website and mobile application. As of the time of writing, YouTube is prohibited in the following countries:
- North Korea
- South Sudan
YouTube is also restricted on a local network level by a variety of entities, including schools, business workplaces, and government institutions.
Why am I unable to view YouTube with my VPN?
Generally, YouTube does not ban VPN connections in the same way as commercial streaming services do, but there are rare exceptions.
In certain situations, YouTube may block your VPN server’s IP address in certain situations if Google detects harmful activity emanating from it. Most VPNs use shared IP addresses, which means that all users connecting to the same server share the same IP address. Therefore, if another user abuses the VPN service, YouTube will restrict the user’s IP address, thereby blocking all users connected to the same server.
This is often a transitory problem that a competent VPN will resolve within hours or days. In the meantime, you may try changing the location of your VPN server to alter your IP address.
Is it possible to access YouTube TV from two distinct places (when traveling)?
Yes, you may use YouTube TV when traveling as well as at home. This is especially convenient if you’re just traveling inside the United States, where YouTube TV is accessible. You may notice that certain local channels and programs are unavailable. However, connecting through a VPN to your home region can resolve this. If you’re going outside the United States, you’ll need a VPN that not only has US IP addresses but also has powerful unblocking capabilities to allow you to avoid limitations.
What is the error message ‘YouTube TV VPN proxy detected’?
If you get the message “YouTube TV VPN proxy detected,” this indicates that YouTube TV has identified your use of a VPN. The IP address you are currently using has very certainly been blocked and hence will not operate with the TV streaming service. To get around this, you’ll need to connect to another server (try another US location). Then, you may continue with this procedure until you discover one that works.
Why am I unable to access YouTube TV with a VPN?
Are you still unable to access your YouTube TV? You can take a few steps. To begin, ensure that you are connected to a US server and have a US IP address. Additionally, you will need to clear the cache and cookies on your browser to guarantee that your YouTube TV will forget your prior IP address and location. Finally, test many servers to ensure that your current IP address is not blocked. If none of this works, it’s possible that your existing VPN is incompatible with your YouTube TV.