A VPN, which stands for Virtual Private Network, encrypts your internet connection and passes it via an intermediate server located in a different location. While traveling, you may recover access to your typical Netflix repertoire by connecting to a VPN server in the United States.
However, not just any VPN will work. On a proactive basis, Netflix bans connections from known VPN servers. Only a few providers are capable of providing secure access to Netflix US.
In a nutshell, here’s how you get American Netflix.
- Netflix restricts access to its content catalog to users in your country. However, a VPN enables you to safely access Netflix from any location.
- A VPN masks your IP address by routing your internet traffic via another server; for example, if you connect to a US server while in Ireland, you will regain access to American Netflix.
How to use a VPN to access American Netflix from Ireland
We’ll walk you through the basics of streaming Netflix US from Ireland using a VPN, as well as some troubleshooting tips in case you run into any complications.
How to acquire American Netflix in Ireland is as follows:
- Subscribe to a VPN service. NordVPN is recommended.
- Install the VPN client on your desired device.
- Start the VPN application and choose a server in the United States. Important: not all servers are guaranteed to operate. Therefore, check with your provider to determine which servers to use.
- Connect to an optimized Netflix server.
- Open Netflix and begin viewing immediately!
The following are the criteria for selecting a VPN for American Netflix.
Our suggestion for the best VPN for Netflix in Ireland was compiled using the following criteria:
- Compatible with Netflix and other streaming services.
- Provides fast and dependable speeds for continuous streaming of high-quality content.
- Use robust security and maintain no logs.
- Prompt and knowledgeable client service.
- Provides a money-back guarantee.
Best VPN service for accessing American Netflix in Ireland
NordVPN is our top recommendation. This provider provides an up-to-date list of which servers are compatible with Netflix on its internet knowledge base, or you can contact a live customer care person for assistance. Additionally, NordVPN enables safe access to services such as Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, and Hulu.
This is the quickest service we’ve tested, and with over 5,000 servers located across the globe, you should have no trouble getting a fast connection. Military-grade encryption, leak prevention, and a kill button are used to safeguard servers. NordVPN maintains no logs.
Multiple devices may be connected simultaneously, with programs available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android.
Are you still unable to access American Netflix in Ireland?
Depending on your device and VPN, Netflix may still block you from watching it. If you’re still being banned after using our suggested VPN, try the following troubleshooting steps:
- Inquire with your VPN provider about whether their servers are compatible with Netflix US.
- Exit all Google accounts, including the one associated with the Chrome browser. Google caches IP addresses and so enables Netflix to determine your true location.
- Disable GPS and any other location-based services on your smartphone. If you have already granted Netflix access to view your location, you may deactivate this permission in your browser settings.
- Delete all cookies, caches, and temporary files from your browser.
- Deactivate IPv6. This is mostly intended for Windows 10 users, but it may cause problems on other operating systems as well.
- Purge the DNS cache. Open the Command Prompt in administrator mode on Windows and type the following command: ipconfig/flushdns
- Change the time zone on your device to the country in which you’re trying to stream Netflix.
- Reconnect to the same VPN server location to get a new IP address that is not banned by Netflix.
Why am I unable to access American Netflix from Ireland?
Netflix is obligated to limit viewing by the nation to adhere to licensing regulations, and the firm does not possess the right to broadcast as much content in Ireland as it does in the United States.
Netflix automatically detects your device’s IP address when you access it in a web browser or app. An IP address is a unique combination of integers and decimals that may be used to determine the approximate location of a device. A VPN substitutes a VPN server’s IP address for your own. If Netflix detects a US IP address, it will treat you as if you are in the United States and will display the American library of programs.
Netflix does not discriminate based on where you signed up or where you paid. It just verifies the location of your IP address (and possibly your DNS server).
If you try to view a movie on Netflix using a banned VPN server, you will see the following error message:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
We have no prior knowledge of Netflix punishing VPN users. Netflix limits connections from VPN servers but does not penalize users who use VPNs. Virtual private networks are completely legal in the majority of nations, including Ireland.
Is it possible to view American Netflix with a free VPN?
In the great majority of circumstances, free VPNs will not function with Netflix. Even the most expensive VPN companies must spend enormous amounts of money on their workarounds to access Netflix safely.
Free VPNs lack such resources, and in any event, most of them will not provide a high-quality experience. They are often crowded with too many users per server, impose data quotas and bandwidth restrictions, and provide a restricted variety of servers. Numerous free VPNs commercialize their services by putting tracking cookies and advertisements into your web browser, which contradicts the privacy that a VPN should give. In certain circumstances, free VPN software may even include malware payloads or fail to provide the level of protection claimed.
In summary, it is better to avoid free VPNs.
FAQs about US Netflix in Ireland
How much does Netflix cost in Ireland?
Netflix subscriptions in Ireland vary from €7.99 to €15.99 (US$9.43 to $18.88).
For instance, Netflix streaming plans in the United States run from $8.99 to $17.99.
To understand more, see our post on which nations pay the most and least for Netflix.
How can I stream Netflix in the United States on my Firestick?
The VPN we suggest has dedicated Amazon Fire TV applications (2nd generation or later). Simply type your VPN provider’s name into the Firestick’s search bar and install the right software. Then just log in and connect as you would with any other device.
For further information, see our guide on how to set up a VPN on a Firestick/FireTV.
What are the finest Netflix Ireland programs and movies to watch?
Although Ireland’s collection is less than that of the United States, there are several series and movies available on Netflix Ireland that are not available anywhere else:
- Winter’s Bone
- Straight Outta Compton
- The Great Escape
- Ex Machina
- Midnight Cowboy
- The Terminator
- Me and Earl and the Dying Girl
- The Peanut Butter Falcon
What is the difference between Netflix in Ireland, the United States, and the United Kingdom?
Let us compare Ireland’s Netflix collection to that of the United Kingdom and the United States at the time of writing:
- 1,084 television programs
- 3,419 films
- 1,155 television programs
- 3,740 films
Parks and Recreation, The Office (US), Bob’s Burgers, Supernatural, and The 100 are all exclusives.
- 1.098 television programs
- 3,427 films
Orphan Black, Star Trek: Discovery, The Expanse, Scandal, and Rome are all exclusives.