If you attempt to access BBC iPlayer from France, you will encounter difficulties without the use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN). In this tutorial, we’ll demonstrate how to use a VPN to access BBC iPlayer as if you were in the United Kingdom.
If you attempt to access BBC iPlayer in France without using a VPN, you will get one of two errors: either “BBC iPlayer is only available in the United Kingdom.” Sorry, this content is not accessible in your country due to licensing restrictions” or “This content is not available in your country due to licensing restrictions”.
This occurs as a result of the service checking your IP address and determining that you are not in a supported country (England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland). Fortunately, there is a simple solution: connect to a VPN server in one of these places to disguise your IP address and safely watch BBC iPlayer from anywhere on the globe while on vacation. Additionally, this will encrypt your internet traffic, concealing your actions from your ISP, employer, and any prying eyes.
How to watch BBC iPlayer in France
You do not need to be a computer whiz to access geo-blocked services when traveling. The following is a step-by-step method that will have you watching the BBC in no time.
Here’s how to use a VPN to access BBC iPlayer in France:
- To begin with, sign up with a reliable VPN service (we recommend NordVPN).
- Install the app on any device that you often use for streaming. Most popular VPNs allow you to connect to multiple devices simultaneously, so don’t worry if you have a few.
- Log into the VPN app and choose a UK server.
- Log on to the BBC iPlayer and try to watch a live broadcast. If it does not load properly, remove your cookies and cache and retry. You should be able to use the service normally at this point. We suggest contacting your VPN support staff for assistance with more difficult difficulties.
Choosing the best VPN to access BBC iPlayer from abroad
You cannot just connect to any random VPN to access the BBC iPlayer in France. Even if a given service performs well for one activity, there is no assurance it will perform similarly well for subsequent ones. That is why we chose to suggest only VPNs that satisfied all of the following criteria (more on these later):
- Compatible with BBC iPlayer and other popular streaming services in the United Kingdom.
- Has a negligible influence on the speed of your connection.
- To keep you secure, it makes use of a variety of security mechanisms, including encryption.
- Refuses to save any information that might be used to identify you.
- Provides applications for all major operating systems.
The best VPN for international live streaming of BBC iPlayer
NordVPN is our top recommendation for anybody in France wanting to watch BBC iPlayer. Not only is it a good performer when it comes to difficult-to-access streaming services, but it is also one of the quickest we’ve tested. Indeed, we’ve seen it achieve rates of up to 100 Mbps, but this is clearly restricted by the speed of your base connection. At any given moment, multiple devices may be linked.
This service has a slew of security and privacy features, including 256-bit encryption, a configurable kill switch, and a routinely confirmed zero-logs policy. Additionally, there is an integrated ad blocker, security against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and a new WireGuard-based protocol called NordLynx that is more auditable than OpenVPN. While this service is really simple to use, it offers 24/7 help through email and live chat.
NordVPN offers desktop and mobile software for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and iOS. Additionally, this service may be configured manually for usage on compatible home routers.
How we selected the best VPN for BBC iPlayer
When it comes to live streaming foreign television, there are a few critical points to keep in mind. When determining which VPN is best for watching BBC iPlayer in France, we carefully considered the following factors:
- British servers: Without a server in the United Kingdom, it is impossible to access BBC iPlayer from outside the country. Additionally, the more connections are accessible, the more dependable your connection will be.
- Streaming capability: Clearly, the objective is to have secure access to BBC iPlayer. However, we compare prospective suggestions to a range of other British streaming services, including ITV Hub, All 4, Netflix UK, and Amazon Prime Video, to ensure that they are compatible with a broad variety of services.
- Speeds: BBC iPlayer recommends a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for live HD content. Our proposals must be capable of far greater speeds than this (providing your base connection is fast enough).
- Security: We will never endorse a service that does not provide enough security from snoopers. At the very least, the VPN mentioned above includes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak prevention, and a log policy that prioritizes privacy.
- Value: Users may be certain that the services we propose are reasonably priced. We evaluate items like free trials, money-back guarantees, and long-term discounts, as well as how a VPN compares to similarly priced competitors, before determining if it costs too much.
- Ease of use: Our primary goal is to provide everyone with the tools necessary to be safe online. The VPN mentioned above provides simple-to-use applications, live chat support, and comprehensive help sections on their respective websites.
Is it possible to view BBC iPlayer in France with a free VPN?
Using a free VPN to access BBC iPlayer is a terrible idea for a variety of reasons. To begin with, this platform has become quite adept at recognizing VPN traffic, which means there is a considerable chance your selected provider will simply not operate. Second, free ISPs often include a monthly cap on the amount of bandwidth you may use. In other words, even if everything works well, you may be limited to a few free concerts.
Additionally, there are more significant risks to free VPNs. We’ve seen examples of free providers flat-out lying to their consumers about the kind of logs they keep and how safe their services really are. With so many free VPNs omitting encryption or using obsolete ciphers, it’s really a matter of chance as to whether you’re secured in any significant sense. To protect yourself, we highly advise against picking a VPN based on pricing alone.
BBC iPlayer streaming in France: FAQs
Can I watch BBC iPlayer episodes when traveling abroad?
Although BBC iPlayer is geo-restricted, you may view previously-downloaded programming from anywhere in the globe. In short, if you can download a program in the first place, you are free to view it anywhere in the world. According to the BBC’s own website, “If you download a program from BBC iPlayer while in the UK, you can watch it anywhere in the world.”
Is BBC iPlayer available with French subtitles?
Regrettably, BBC iPlayer only supports English subtitles, even for its Welsh and Gaelic-language stations S4C and BBC Alba.
What is available on BBC iPlayer?
The BBC iPlayer enables viewers to live stream 11 television stations and one radio station. Recent episodes are added to the service’s on-demand library, resulting in a continually updated catalog of some of the UK’s most popular series. Here are a few examples:
- Holby City
- RuPaul’s Drag Race UK
- Top Gear
- Celebrity Masterchef
- The Killing