If you’ve signed in to your Netflix account while in Italy, you may have seen that your favorite programs have been removed. We demonstrate how to utilize a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to access Netflix USA when traveling overseas.
You’re probably aware that each country’s Netflix collection varies somewhat. However, it is an often-ignored reality that certain countries have a disproportionate amount of content. For example, the American Netflix library presently has about 5,000+ titles, whereas the Italian catalog has 4,000+ titles. The good news is that VPN companies have made significant advances lately in terms of accessing Netflix, which means you’ll be able to watch your home country’s version of Netflix in Italy or anywhere else in the world.
So how does this all work in practice? To begin with, it’s critical to understand that Netflix chooses which regional library to display based on your IP address. A VPN is capable of concealing your actual IP address and assigning you a new one depending on the server’s location. Simply said, if you connect to an American VPN server, Netflix will think you are in the United States and will allow you to watch US-exclusive television programs and movies.
How to access Netflix USA from anywhere in the world using a VPN
Not sure where to begin? Not to fear, these services are much more user-friendly than you would think! Take a look below for a step-by-step tutorial on how to view Netflix USA from Italy.
- Start by selecting the appropriate VPN (we recommend NordVPN).
- Install the app on the device on which you want to view Netflix. It’s OK if there are a few; most big VPNs support up to five simultaneous connections.
- Open the app and choose a server in the United States. Generally, the closer the server, the faster the connection, but if in doubt, New York and Los Angeles are generally safe bets.
- Now, go onto Netflix and look for a program or movie that is available exclusively in the United States. If it is not displayed, delete your cookies and cache and then reload the page. If difficulties continue, contact your VPN support staff to see if there is a dedicated Netflix US server.
VPNs have come a long way, yet shopping for one may still be very complicated. This is partly due to the sheer volume of services available, but jargon-heavy websites and an emphasis on sophisticated features definitely do not help. In our opinion, the best VPNs are those that are capable of performing fairly well on a day-to-day basis, rather than being exceptional in a single circumstance. With this in mind, we developed a set of criteria that VPNs must satisfy in order to be evaluated for inclusion in our list; we discuss these criteria in more detail below.
- From overseas, work with Netflix United States (and ideally, other Netflix libraries too).
- Must offer sufficient bandwidth for 4K streaming.
- Apps must be available for a variety of operating systems.
- Encryption is strong, and cutting-edge security measures are included.
- Adheres to a strong anti-logging policy.
Best VPN for streaming Netflix USA from Italy
NordVPN is our number one recommendation for viewing Netflix USA in Italy (or anywhere else, for that matter). It has experienced substantial performance improvements recently as a result of its new NordLynx protocol, which offers thousands of US servers. Even better, this service integrates with a variety of other streaming services, so you can use Disney+, HBO Max, or Hulu in Italy with ease.
Although Nord just introduced its password manager and cloud storage solution, its VPN applications are also very safe. They use 256-bit AES encryption, leak prevention, and a configurable kill switch to guarantee that your actions remain anonymous at all times, in addition to obfuscated servers that provide another degree of security. NordVPN maintains no logs, a fact that is independently confirmed regularly. If you have any questions, feel free to contact customer service—staff is available through email and live chat 24 hours a day.
Users of NordVPN may download applications for iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, and Linux. Additionally, they may set up the service manually on their home network to circumvent the connection limit.
How we selected the best VPN for Netflix USA
Netflix is one of the most challenging services to access through a VPN, and therefore, not every provider will work. Naturally, we want our users to have a well-rounded service that is appropriate for everyday use, not just for accessing Netflix. That is why, in making our suggestions, we assessed each candidate using the following criteria:
- Speed: Netflix predicts that a minimum of 25 Mbps will be required to view 4K content. All of our suggestions, however, had a negligible effect on download speeds and performed well in our most recent speed testing.
- Servers in the US: Without US servers, you will be unable to access Netflix USA when traveling overseas. More servers often equate to a more stable connection during busy periods, which is why our best choices offer a plethora of options.
- Value: Some VPN providers try to charge more than their services are really worth. Each is compared to similarly priced competitors to see if they are priced reasonably; if not, they do not qualify.
- Ease of use: Everyone should have access to digital security. That is why we only suggest services that are simple enough for even the most inexperienced users to utilize.
- Security and privacy: We seek a no-log policy, a kill button, leak prevention, and 256-bit encryption at a minimum. Advanced security and privacy features, on the other hand, are always appreciated, and we’ll highlight them if they’re included.
- Streaming services: While the aim here is to access Netflix US from overseas, we emphasized VPNs that work with other big streaming services such as Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, and Amazon Prime Video.
Believe it or not, the tests outlined above are just a subset of our overall VPN testing process. We’ve published a comprehensive tutorial on how to evaluate VPNs if you’re interested in learning more.
Netflix USA streaming from abroad: FAQs
Is it possible to watch Netflix with a free VPN?
While you can access Netflix US with a free VPN, this is not guaranteed and is not recommended. This is because, in addition to being unstable, these services often impose severe bandwidth restrictions, preventing you from streaming as much as you like. Additionally, their speeds are often very sluggish, which may limit you to lower resolutions. Is this the optimal method to view your favorite shows?
Regrettably, this is just the beginning. Unlike commercial VPNs, there is no assurance that your free service has been tested for security or that it encrypts your traffic. There is also a possibility that your selected free VPN is infected with viruses! To ensure the highest level of security for you and your device, we suggest going with a trustworthy service with a strong track record of privacy, rather than choosing only based on pricing.
What can I watch on Netflix in the United States?
Currently, the Netflix collection in the United States has about 5,500 items, including approximately 3,700 films and 1,800 television programs. This implies that, regardless of your hobbies, you’re virtually likely to find something that piques your curiosity. Additionally, many titles are Netflix US-exclusive. Several of these are included below:
- Chicago Med
- My Fair Lady
- An Imperfect Murder
- Whose Streets?
- Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath
- Quantum of Solace
- Freak ShowAlone
- What’s New, Scooby Doo?