Spotify needs no introduction as it is the world’s biggest music streaming service with well over 350 million customers. Even with a free membership, you’ll have access to an apparently endless amount of tunes and podcasts. There is, however, a catch. Spotify’s free plan contains advertisements (which might be rather many!). While it’s impossible to completely prevent advertisements without becoming a paying member, there are methods to mitigate their impact, one of which is via using a VPN.
Thus, what is a VPN and how can one be used to prevent Spotify advertisements? A VPN encrypts the data on your device and masks your IP address. Thus, by connecting to a server in your home country, it seems as if you’re streaming Spotify from there.
You may have observed that when you go overseas, the Spotify advertisements vary; in certain regions. They get longer or even more obnoxious! You may use a VPN to access Spotify in your native country and continue to enjoy Spotify with fewer advertisements.
How to use a VPN to prevent advertisements on Spotify
It’s really pretty straightforward to use a VPN to prevent or, at the very least, minimize the amount of advertisements you hear on Spotify. Indeed, the whole procedure should take no more than a few minutes.
Here’s how to disable advertisements on Spotify:
- The first step is to sign up for a VPN service with a reliable provider. We suggest NordVPN in particular.
- Install the VPN application that is compatible with the device from which you are streaming Spotify. The VPN, we suggest, supports at least five concurrent connections.
- Connect to a server in another country by logging into the VPN app. This alters your IP address and fools Spotify into believing you’re streaming from a different location.
- Launch Spotify and go to your desired playlist. You may now hear fewer advertisements depending on the country of the VPN server to which you are connected.
- Are you still seeing too many advertisements? Consider one of the many ways detailed below in this text.
Certain VPNs are superior to others in terms of server speed for streaming or the amount of security offered. The following are some of the most critical characteristics we look for in a VPN that we use with Spotify:
- Spotify-compatible (i.e. lets you change the country version).
- Continuous music streaming through high-speed connections.
- Utilizes encryption to ensure the security of your connection.
- No-logs policy that ensures your privacy is protected.
- Multiple concurrent connections allow for seamless streaming across all of your devices.
- At least 30-day risk-free money-back guarantee.
How we discovered the best VPN for Spotify ad blocking: our approach
We realize how infuriating advertisements may be. You’re listening to your favorite music when the same obnoxious advertising interrupts you for the hundredth time. Naturally, we kept this in consideration, as well as a few other variables, while determining the best VPN for avoiding Spotify ads:
- Spotify-compatible: Because not every VPN is compatible with Spotify, it was critical that any VPN used was compatible with the music streaming service. While it’s tough to completely eliminate Spotify advertisements, the VPNs we’ve selected should enable you to restrict the quantity of advertisements you hear or, at the very least, alter their language.
- Speed: While it’s nice to be able to filter adverts on Spotify, this is rendered ineffective if VPN server speeds are too poor for music streaming. The fastest VPNs provide limitless bandwidth, allowing you to watch as much as you want without experiencing buffering problems.
- Unblocking: While a VPN may function with Spotify, it may have difficulty unblocking other websites and services such as the BBC iPlayer or Skype. The good news is that we’ve tested several VPNs and identified those that consistently circumvent content limitations, whether they’re imposed by copyright or censorship.
- Security: While a VPN is designed to enhance your online security, some do the opposite. To begin, there should be advanced encryption safeguarding your data from attackers. Additionally, DNS leak prevention and a kill switch are included. Our security testing discovered VPNs that provide all of these critical characteristics.
- Privacy: You should be able to stream Spotify and browse anonymously on the web. Regrettably, some VPNs profit from recording and selling your surfing activity. Upon request, logs may also be shared with authorities. We analyzed over 100 VPN logging policies and determined which ones safeguard your privacy the best.
- Ease of use: Certain VPN applications are much simpler to use than others. The VPNs we’ve featured in this article are all quite user-friendly, with applications available for PCs, smartphones, and more. Indeed, they all feature live chat and email assistance, in addition to a variety of setup and self-help manuals.
- Excellent value for money: A VPN should ideally provide different subscription tiers. Generally, the longer the term of the plan, the more money you may save. Additionally, top VPNs for Spotify ad blocking provide money-back guarantees, allowing you to use them risk-free. Make sure to take advantage of our VPN discount coupons to get an even better deal on your VPN.
What are some further methods for blocking advertisements on Spotify?
Using an ad blocker is one of the most common methods for blocking adverts on Spotify. However, it’s worth noting that the majority of ad blockers do not function with Spotify. Those that do tend to need considerable technical expertise to setup effectively. Additionally, although ad blockers are completely legal, you risk having your Spotify account banned or revoked for violating the service’s user standards.
While using a VPN or an ad blocker may prevent or minimize Spotify commercials, the fastest and simplest method to block Spotify ads is with a Spotify Premium subscription. This costs $9.99 (GBP £7.46) per month, with new users receiving a one-month free trial. Spotify Premium has a variety of features, including the ability to download music, skip as many songs as you like, and enjoy uninterrupted listening without interruptions from advertisements.
Is it possible to use a free VPN to hide advertisements on Spotify?
While you may attempt to hide adverts on Spotify using a free VPN, we do not suggest it. The majority of free VPNs offer a small number of server locations. This restricts your choices if you want to connect to another country and so hear less advertisements. Additionally, free VPNs’ modest speeds make them unsuitable for music streaming. You’re likely to suffer numerous interruptions, not only from advertisements, but also from performance difficulties such as buffering.
Apart from the many performance issues, free VPNs also suffer with security. Without your awareness, data may not be encrypted correctly, exposing your identity. It’s critical to remember that a free VPN earns money by, somewhat paradoxically, pestering you with advertisements. Certain websites even track your surfing activity and sell it to other parties. To maintain genuine online privacy, use a trustworthy premium VPN.
Is it legal to disable advertisements on Spotify?
In the great majority of nations, VPNs and ad blockers are legal. If you have one enabled and it occurs to prevent Spotify advertisements, you are not breaking the law. However, Spotify’s user standards state that “circumventing or blocking advertisements, or creating or distributing tools designed to block advertisements” is not authorized and may result in your account being terminated or suspended. Fortunately, we’ve discovered less evidence of this occurring, especially with VPNs (which an increasing number of people use).