There is a lot of wonderful stuff on Netflix, but much of it is country-restricted. Indeed, the library of series and films available to see varies by location. Netflix’s catalog is quite restricted in certain regions. For instance, if you go from the United States to Spain, you will discover that you have access to far fewer programs and will be unable to use your typical home streaming services. As a result, many users may try to fool Netflix into believing they are in another location, like the United States, to regain access to their home country’s library when traveling overseas.
The easiest method is to use a Virtual Private Network to change your Netflix location (VPN). A VPN encrypts your internet traffic and routes it via a server in a location of your choosing. It may spoof your current location by masking your actual IP address and replacing it with one from your selected nation. This means that if you’re traveling, you can still access your home country’s streaming services regardless of where you are. Additionally, a VPN encrypts all of your traffic, ensuring that no one, not even your ISP, can track your behavior.
Once you’ve configured a VPN, gaining safe access to the Netflix library you want while traveling overseas (or to any streaming service library from your home country) is rather simple.
How can I alter the area or nation in which Netflix is available?
How to change the region or nation of Netflix from any location:
- To begin with, if you haven’t already, create a Netflix account.
- Then select the VPN suggested and download, install, and log in. NordVPN is recommended.
- Now establish a VPN connection to a VPN server located in your own country.
- Navigate to Netflix’s website. You should be immediately sent to the nation’s website for the server’s location.
- Now, if you haven’t already, log onto Netflix and pick your favorite movie or program.
Can I access Netflix from a foreign country?
Yes, this strategy allows you to watch Netflix from anywhere in the world and is popular among regular travelers. Americans visiting the UK, for example, will be able to safely stream US Netflix, while British visitors to the US will be able to view Netflix UK.
Keep in mind that Netflix is aware that members are using this technique to access several libraries and is enforcing its policies. When it determines that an IP address is associated with a VPN service, it blocks traffic from that address. In this situation, you’ll notice a proxy error message that reads as follows:
“Whoops, there was an error. A streaming error has occurred. You seem to be using a proxy or unblocker. Please disable any of these services and retry.”
Numerous companies are devoted to offering a workaround and maintaining servers that give secure VPN access to multiple Netflix libraries. Nonetheless, not all of these service providers provide a similar level of service. To stream, you must guarantee that your VPN is both fast and stable. Additionally, you want to ensure that your selected provider places a premium on security and privacy.
With the above in mind, we’ve suggested the best VPN for viewing Netflix in any location based on the following criteria:
- Compatible with the most popular Netflix country libraries, including Netflix in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Japan, and Australia (bonus points for working with other catalogs).
- Has a huge number of server locations.
- Provides immediate and dependable access.
- Utilizes robust encryption, which is backed up by other security measures.
- No records of user activity or IP addresses are maintained.
- Provides competent and approachable client service.
Best VPN to change Netflix region
NordVPN has a large network of streaming servers, totaling over 5000 in several countries. It is well-known for its safe access to Netflix and compatibility with a variety of libraries in the United States, Canada, the Netherlands, France, Spain, the United Kingdom, Australia, Brazil, Italy, India, and Germany. Additionally, this service is one of the quickest we’ve tested, which makes it ideal for high-resolution streaming.
Additionally, this VPN provides secure access to a variety of other popular streaming services, including Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, and BBC iPlayer. Certain servers operated by NordVPN are specifically geared towards video streaming. And if you run into any difficulties, you can just contact customer care.
NordVPN is another strong participant regarding privacy and security. It maintains no records of any kind, including bandwidth data limitations. 256-bit banking-grade encryption with full forward secrecy provides security. DNS leak prevention and a user-configurable kill switch help guarantee that your data is never sent outside of the encrypted tunnel. Additionally, several dedicated servers are designed to withstand Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) assaults.
You can install NordVPN on multiple devices concurrently. It supports Windows, Linux, and MacOS desktop clients, as well as iOS and Android mobile applications.
Can I use a free VPN to change my Netflix region?
There are certainly many free VPN services, and some may be very enticing. However, we would urge you to avoid it for various reasons. Providing complete access to Netflix involves a significant amount of work on the side of the provider, and free services are insufficiently lucrative to justify these resources on an ongoing basis. While a free VPN may allow you to browse another country’s Netflix collection, you will almost certainly face a proxy error while trying to view it.
Additionally, these services often provide a restricted range of servers, reducing the likelihood that you’ll be able to access the Netflix collection you’re searching for. Even if you do get access, you’re likely to be disappointed by sluggish connection connections and maybe have to queue for some servers. Additionally, you may discover that cheap VPNs do not provide limitless bandwidth, making it impossible to view HD content. When using the premium VPN mentioned above, this sort of monthly data restriction is irrelevant.
Practicality is not the primary consideration when it comes to free services. We’ve placed a premium on privacy and security above because it’s critical for consumers to understand how their data is being used. Providers of free VPN services must earn a living somehow, and many do so via dubious means. Some bother you with intrusive advertisements, track your activities and sell it to third parties, or even include malware.
Which countries have Netflix versions available?
Netflix began slowly and operated only in the United States for the first decade or so. It ultimately expanded globally in 2010 with the acquisition of Canadian Netflix, and from there, there was no turning back. After a large 2016 expansion, Netflix is currently accessible to the great majority of nations, with the exclusions of China, Crimea, Syria, and North Korea. Regarding China, Netflix has made a drive for licensing partnerships rather than establishing a physical presence in the nation.
While Netflix is accessible across the majority of nations, the library of series and movies differs significantly by location. Apart from having a variety of titles, some locations have a fairly limited selection. This is because each location has its own license agreement.
How to change the region of Netflix on an iPhone
To access several Netflix libraries on your phone, you’ll need to disguise your location via a VPN. Don’t be alarmed; it’s not quite as complicated as it sounds.
How to change the Netflix region on an iPhone:
- Subscribing to a reliable VPN service that offers an easy-to-use mobile app is the first step. NordVPN is recommended.
- Go to the Software Store on your iPhone and download and install your VPN app.
- Log in to the app using the credentials provided by your VPN provider.
- Connect to the server location for the Netflix library you want to view. For instance, you can use a US server to view Netflix in the United States.
- Now open your Netflix app and you should see the library you’re looking for.
Bear in mind that even if a VPN is connected to the nation you choose, not all servers in that area will operate. If you have difficulties, contact the customer support staff for assistance with troubleshooting.
How to change the region of Netflix on an Android phone
Using a VPN, you may access a foreign country’s Netflix library on your Android phone. And it’s quite easy to set up.
How to change the Netflix region on an Android phone is as follows:
- Choose a VPN service of your choice (choose one with a good Android app like NordVPN).
- Go to the Google Play Store on your Android phone and download the VPN software.
- After installation, log in with your new VPN credentials.
- Choose a server that is geographically appropriate for the Netflix collection you want to view. For instance, to view Netflix in the United Kingdom, connect to a UK server.
- You should now be able to stream content from your preferred library after launching your Netflix app.
Although many VPNs work with Netflix, not all of them operate with every library, and even when they do, not every server is compatible. Netflix is continually adding new restrictions, while VPN companies are continuously developing workarounds for cat and mouse games. To do so, you may need to contact customer support staff for help.
How to change the region of Netflix on Roku
Roku is another system that does not allow native VPN applications, but if you’re prepared to put in some work, there are a couple of alternatives for changing the Netflix location on Roku.
How to change the nation of Netflix on Roku:
- Create a VPN router and link it to your Roku.
- On your laptop computer, create a VPN-protected WiFi hotspot and link your Roku to it.
- Utilize a VPN-protected Android smartphone or tablet to send a screencast to Roku.
Our process for finding the best VPN to change the Netflix region
It’s infuriating to fly overseas and discover that you’re unable to access your typical Netflix collection from home. Regrettably, only a few VPNs work well with Netflix, but the good news is that we’ve discovered a few that do! We’ll go through our methods for determining the best VPN to change your Netflix location in the sections below.
- Netflix-compatible servers: With so many VPNs unable to help you access Netflix from overseas, it might be tough to choose the right one. Our worldwide research team puts a variety of VPNs to the test across hundreds of Netflix libraries. Thus, you can be certain that the products we propose are the best available.
- Global network: Netflix is accessible in many nations globally. Keeping this in mind, it’s critical to have a VPN with a worldwide server network. These should be accessible to dozens of nations, including the United States of America, the United Kingdom, and Canada, to mention a few. Thousands of servers are available with the VPN mentioned.
- Speed: Netflix recommends a minimum connection speed of 25 Mbps for 4K viewing. The top VPNs for Netflix region switching are more than capable of supporting this. Due to the extra advantage of limitless bandwidth, regardless of your location, you’ll be able to watch Netflix without experiencing lag or buffering.
- Security: To safely access Netflix, you’ll need a VPN that employs 256-bit AES encryption. Additionally, it should provide DNS leak prevention and a kill switch. We scan each VPN for leaks and search for those that provide additional security, such as dual VPN servers, an ad blocker, or a password manager.
- Privacy: Similar to how not all VPNs function with Netflix, not all VPNs guarantee your privacy. After examining over 100 VPN logging policies, we were able to identify those that do not retain any user-identifying information. Under many circumstances, you’ll even be able to pay for your VPN subscription in Bitcoin discreetly.
- Ease of use: One of the benefits of evaluating many VPNs is that we can determine which VPNs provide the best mobile applications. You’ll find programs that are simple to install and navigate with the VPN included in this article. Additionally, each VPN offers 24-hour live chat and email assistance.
- Value for money: Ironically, there are VPNs that lack many of the aforementioned features yet cost substantially more than the VPN mentioned above! Of course, it helps that we provide a discount code for each one of them. Even better, the top VPNs for changing your Netflix location all provide a risk-free money-back guarantee.
FAQs about changing the Netflix region
Is it possible to use a DNS proxy to alter the region of Netflix?
Numerous DNS proxy service providers will tout their ability to access Netflix and other streaming websites. Indeed, as long as the IP address provided by them is not restricted by Netflix, you will be able to access and watch streaming series and movies.
However, the primary issue is that Netflix may easily ban DNS proxies, rendering them completely unreliable. Additionally, they have fewer nations accessible, which means you have a lower chance of discovering the library you’re looking for. ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer DNS service, which is included with every subscription, is a proxy that does not suffer from these concerns. It is automatically utilized while connected to a VPN, but may also be specified independently.
More significantly for some, a DNS proxy does not encrypt your traffic, which means that your behavior is visible to your ISP and any other snoopers. Additionally, these services are often free and similar to a free VPN, they may be gathering and selling your information, introducing intrusive advertisements, or engaging in other dubious or invasive activities.
Does Netflix permit the use of VPNs to access its content?
As previously stated, Netflix has tightened down on users accessing content using a VPN. If an IP address is known to originate from a VPN server, its traffic will be stopped and you will get a proxy error. This implies that with certain VPN companies, you will be blocked even if you connect through a server located in the country you are currently in, merely for using a VPN.
This method is nonsensical from a financial standpoint since it benefits neither Netflix nor its subscribers. However, this is acceptable given Netflix’s content licensing constraints. As a result of these constraints, the corporation is not permitted to exhibit its whole library in every geographic region. Without these limits, Netflix could theoretically exist in any location.
How can I alter the country in which Netflix bills me?
If you want to change the billing country for Netflix, you must first cancel your account and then reopen it in a new country. Assuming you’re migrating, you’ll want to be invoiced in the currency of your new location. To do so, wait until the end of your current payment cycle to terminate your account. Then, at your new location, restart your account.
Is it unlawful to change the region of my Netflix account?
It is legal to use a VPN with Netflix. However, this violates the company’s terms of service. After all, owing to licensing limitations, Netflix must demonstrate that it has taken steps to prevent the worldwide dissemination of its full collection through VPNs. Having said that, we are not aware of any recorded instances of someone being fined for using a VPN to access content.
While this essay is not meant to be legal advice, the worst-case scenario is that you’ll be presented with a very limited content library (limited to Netflix-owned series) or encounter a proxy error.
The only other scenario in which you could run afoul of the law is if VPNs are banned in your nation, which is only true in a few locations.
Have you changed your location but are still receiving a Netflix proxy error? Consider the following:
By selecting the VPN mentioned above, you should be able to access a variety of Netflix libraries. However, one or more obstacles may remain. We’ve created a checklist for you to follow to ensure you’re able to view your programs.
- Consult the customer care staff of your VPN provider to choose which server to use. They get similar queries regularly, and you should obtain a timely answer. If your provider provides live chat, this is your best option. If not, the following two solutions may be worth exploring first.
- Reconnect to the same server. Occasionally, you’ll be assigned a different IP address that is not banned.
- Connect to another server within the same area. Again, this will provide you with a unique IP address that may or may not be banned.
- Exit any account that caches your IP address. For example, any Google account.
- Disable any location services in your device’s or browser’s settings.
- Clear your cache, cookies, and temporary files if necessary.
- If you’re using Windows 10, you may try deactivating IPv6 in your wireless settings and refreshing your DNS cache with the command ipconfig/flushdns.
- If you’re connected to a wifi network and have access to the router, you may rename the network to prevent Google from tracking your whereabouts. Connect your device to the network by adding “_nomap” (without quotation marks) to the end of the network name.
What is Netflix’s market share in the streaming business?
Netflix presently controls 20% of the streaming market. While it remains a dominating force, its advantage has shrunk dramatically over the last year, from 29 percent to 18 percent. However, things are not all negative, as Netflix attracted 37 million customers and made over $25 billion in income over that time period.
Is it possible to use Netflix simultaneously in two separate countries?
You certainly can. If you have a regular membership, you may watch on two devices concurrently regardless of the location from which you log in. You may watch on up to four devices concurrently if you have a premium membership.
Technically, according to Netflix’s terms of service, you must share an account with another individual. However, if a family member goes on vacation, they should be able to access the account and continue watching as usual. They will only be offered stuff from the region’s Netflix collection (unless they spoof their location with a VPN).
How can I change the region of Netflix on a smart TV?
On a smart TV, you’ll need to install a VPN program to change your Netflix location. This might be an Android TV or Amazon Fire TV app (Fire TV Stick). These apps are searchable via the Google Play Store and the Amazon Fire TV’s main menu. Simply download and install the VPN program, connect to a server in the desired Netflix area, and run the Netflix app (and sign in if necessary). You should now be able to view the new library’s content. Note: another option is to install a VPN on your network (manual configuration is required).
Is Netflix able to tell if I’m using a VPN?
Netflix has become quite adept at detecting tiny signals of VPN use over the years. Providers who lack the money or time to continually discover new workarounds are eventually blacklisted, to the point where it’s becoming more difficult to find a VPN that works properly with this service. Indeed, many of those claiming to provide safe access to Netflix just allow you to browse the US library. Currently, only a small number of providers allow access to several Netflix libraries.
Do I need a US payment method to access Netflix in the United States?
Netflix limits its content in a variety of ways, one of which is by demanding payment in the local currency. You cannot, for example, pay for a US Netflix membership in pounds or euros. However, there is a workaround for this since Netflix accepts gift cards as payment.
Additionally, these gift cards are currency-specific, which means you’ll need one loaded with US dollars. You can purchase digital vouchers from a variety of online retailers (or in-store if visiting the United States), and then enter the code on the Netflix website.
It’s worth noting that Netflix accounts are not restricted by region. In other words, even if you successfully register a Netflix account in the United States, you will still be limited to viewing films accessible in your present area. The only difference is in the monthly membership fee and the currency in which you pay.
Is it possible to get Netflix subtitles in my native language?
Although Netflix theoretically allows subtitles and different audio in a variety of languages, not every television episode and film has been translated or dubbed. According to the site, it “shows the 5-7 most relevant languages based on your location and language settings,” which means that if you pick Hindi as your preferred language, these subtitles are more likely to be offered when viewing anything other than French or German. Alternatively, you may filter items based on the language of the subtitles.