If you live or travel in Sri Lanka and want to access Facebook, WhatsApp, or Viber, your best choice is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN conceals your IP address and routes your traffic via a server located in another location. This will provide you with a new IP address that will enable you to access any online content that is restricted in Sri Lanka. Social media restrictions are not commonplace in Sri Lanka, so it’s a good idea to install a VPN before your visit.
Additionally, a VPN increases your security; not only will your internet data be encrypted, but you will also be protected from hackers, and Man-in-the-Middle assaults. Additionally, by altering your IP address, a VPN enables you to access geo-restricted content such as local television stations or online streaming services such as Netflix.
Best VPN for circumventing social media restrictions in Sri Lanka
In this post, we’ll walk you through the top VPN to regain access to Facebook and other social media in Sri Lanka. We rated it according to the following criteria:
- Service that is prompt and dependable.
- Robust security measures to ensure that your location remains unknown.
- Numerous server locations.
- Android and iOS applications.
- Simple to use.
NordVPN has been in the VPN market for over a decade and has been shown to be a very trustworthy performer. NordVPN boasts lightning-fast connections and excels at unblocking geo-restricted content.
This VPN adheres to a zero-log policy, which means that no data on user sessions, traffic, or timestamps is maintained. The corporation has regularly refused to provide user data in response to government inquiries. It helps that it is based in Panama. This should satisfy privacy advocates.
NordVPN maintains over 5,000 servers in several countries, making it simple to discover a compatible connection. Additionally, you may choose servers with additional privacy features such as anti-DDoS, double VPN, Tor over VPN, or dedicated IP.
The AES 256-bit protocol and 2,048-bit SSL keys are used to encrypt internet traffic. Protection against DNS leaks is enabled.
There are iOS and Android apps available, as well as desktop versions for Windows and MacOS.
Should I use a free VPN in Sri Lanka to unblock Facebook?
Free VPNs are alluring since they are simple to setup and do not require credit card information. Additionally, they are highly marketed on the web, which means that consumers are often flooded with advertisements for these services.
Regrettably, a free VPN often provides just a fraction of the security standards offered by commercial alternatives. Additionally, you will not get premium speeds or high-level customer service. While using a free VPN, you may be bombarded with advertisements and your data may be tracked and mined.
Even if you decide to give a free VPN a try, it’s probable that you’ll quickly return to premium choices like the ones listed above.
How to circumvent social media restrictions in Sri Lanka
After choosing a service (we suggest the one we mentioned), follow the steps below to access social media securely in Sri Lanka.
- Choose the VPN service mentioned above; we suggest NordVPN in particular.
- Directly from the app store or the VPN provider’s website, download the native program.
- Clear your cookies and cache to ensure that no location markers remain. Restart your computer or device.
- Log into the VPN application and choose a server located outside Sri Lanka. We prefer Western nations since they do not impose limits on VPN use.
- Wait until a connection is established—this is often shown by a green light on your VPN client. If you’re using a mobile device, you may also see a VPN icon at the top of the screen.
- Open your phone or browser. Your ISP will presume you are not in Sri Lanka, and as a result, websites such as Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Viber will be available.