In its first few months, Disney+ has established itself as a very successful independent streaming service, with over 28 million customers. With the availability of exclusive programs and films such as The Mandalorian and Frozen 2, families are joining up at an unprecedented pace. Regrettably, Disney Plus is currently only accessible in 13 countries, including the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and the Netherlands. Even if you have a Disney+ account, if you are not in one of those 13 countries, Disney+ will display the following error message:
Something went wrong. Please try again. If the problem persists, visit the Disney+ Help Center (Error Code 83).
Additionally, Disney+ does not display the same catalog of content in all of its locales, which means that someone in the United States would see a different catalog than someone in the Netherlands. Fortunately, a VPN enables you to access the Disney+ library of your choosing from any location. A VPN, short for Virtual Private Network, encrypts internet data and routes it via a server in a location of your choosing. This replaces your current IP address with one from that location, fooling Disney Plus into believing you are physically present there.
In this piece, we’ll walk you through the process of setting up a VPN with Disney+ and recommend the best VPN for the task.
How to watch Disney+ online when traveling overseas with a VPN
Although a VPN may seem complicated, the majority are rather simple to set up. The following are the steps:
- Choose an appropriate VPN service, choose a membership plan, and complete payment. NordVPN is recommended.
- Appropriate apps for your device may be downloaded via the VPN provider’s website or the appropriate app store.
- Install and launch the application, then log in using your username and password.
- Choose a server that is located in the same area as the Disney+ catalog that you want to unblock. For instance, if you’re connected to a US library, choose an American VPN server.
- If you haven’t already, sign up for Disney+. Take note that you will need a method of payment that is compatible with the location you have chosen (more details below).
- Once you’ve logged into Disney+, you should be able to watch content normally.
Certain VPNs allow you to connect to any server in a specified area. For others, only a limited number of servers can unblock Disney+, and you may need to contact customer service to determine which server to use.
Along with identifying the best VPN that unblocks Disney+, we consider a variety of other factors while selecting the top service. The following are the primary elements we consider:
- Compatible with Disney+.
- It boasts lightning-fast speeds and dependable connections.
- Provides substantial security.
- Does not keep track of personal information.
- Provides exceptional client service.
- Provides exceptional value for money.
Best VPN for Disney Plus
NordVPN is an excellent choice for viewing Disney+ and other popular streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. With thousands of servers located in several countries, you’re guaranteed to find one that meets your requirements. NordVPN maintains no records of user activity or connection information.
This service protects your data with a variety of features, including military-grade encryption, complete forward secrecy, a kill button (except for Android), and leak prevention. Additionally, non-standard features such as automated wifi protection and the possibility of a dual VPN are available. Obfuscated servers enable you to use a VPN connection in locations that ban VPN traffic, such as China.
NordVPN has apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV, and they can be configured manually with specific routers. The provider enables multiple connections.
Is it possible to use a free VPN with Disney+?
While looking for a VPN, you’re certain to stumble across a plethora of free solutions. While they may seem appealing, there are various reasons why you should avoid them. To begin with, free VPNs are unlikely to operate beyond Disney+’s geo-restriction procedures. These providers just lack the resources necessary to take on a company the size of Disney, and as a result, you’re likely to get an error and be unable to read the content you’re looking for.
Even if a free VPN can unblock Disney+, you can expect a subpar overall experience. Due to the economic structure of free VPNs, you will almost certainly be assaulted with advertisements delivered by the VPN or third-party advertising. Additionally, these sites often have a large number of users vying for access to a limited number of servers, resulting in lengthy connection times and low-quality, buffering video.
If you care about your online privacy and security in any way, free VPNs are a no-no. These service providers often monitor user behavior and sell user profiles to other parties. While respected premium services utilize the strongest encryption techniques available, free providers generally use insecure encryption or none at all. Certain VPN programs have been discovered to include malware, and one was revealed to be engaged in the theft of users’ bandwidth for use in a botnet.
Where can I access Disney+?
Disney+ launched in six countries originally, but will expand to 13 territories by March 2020:
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- United Kingdom
- United States
There are plans to expand Disney+ to more regions, albeit the timescale is long and uncertain. Eastern Europe, Latin America, and parts of Asia-Pacific, for example, are unlikely to have service before 2021.
How do the geo-restrictions on Disney+ work?
Due to broadcasting limitations, Disney+ is presently only accessible in the aforementioned locations. This implies that even if you have an account, you will be unable to use the service from any location. For instance, if you normally live in the United States and created an account there but are present in India, you will be unable to access your account. You will either be unable to log in at all or have a streaming issue.
Fortunately, all you need to do in this instance is follow the instructions above to unblock the service using a VPN.
However, what if you do not yet have an account? If you attempt to sign up from a location that is not serviced, you will see a “Keep Me Updated” button. By clicking that, you will be prompted to provide your email address but will not be allowed to register for the service.
To circumvent this difficulty, you must connect to a VPN. Simply connect to a server located in a location that offers Disney+ and you will be able to sign up. However, you must own a payment method linked to that location or be able to circumvent this limitation (see the next section).
If you live in a location that Disney+ services, you can easily sign up and access the content. One potential issue is that not all information is accessible in all locations. Due to the varied broadcasting rules and limitations in different countries, the content library may vary based on your location.
Notably, the US edition of Disney+ includes several titles that the international version does not. While there do not seem to be any notable titles missing from other collections, several Mickey favorites, such as Hawaiian Holiday and Boat Builders, are exclusive to the United States.
Fortunately, you can unblock your selected title by using a VPN. For instance, if you live in Canada, you may connect to a US VPN server to view titles that are available exclusively in the United States.
How can I sign up for Disney Plus from outside the United States?
Disney+ limits access to the service by accepting only payment methods from the territories in which it is offered. This means that even if you visit the site using a VPN and can commence the registration procedure, Disney will prevent you from joining if you do not have the required payment information.
Nonetheless, some users report success with workarounds:
Create a Disney+ account with your Apple ID
This feature is available on the iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV, but once you’ve created an account, you should be able to access it over a VPN on any supported device.
- Log out of your Apple ID.
- To create a new Apple ID, navigate to the App Store and select “Create a New Apple ID.”
- Select the United States as your region and create an account.
- Purchase an iTunes gift card filled with a sufficient number of US dollars to cover the cost of your Disney+ membership. The current monthly fee is $6.99, or $69.99 per year.
- Redeem the gift card in the App Store.
- Connect to a VPN server in the United States.
- Install the Disney+ app.
- Begin the process of subscribing to Disney+. When you reach the payment screen, use your iTunes gift card to complete the transaction.
Subscribe to Disney+ using your Google Play Store account
By using this approach, you should be able to create a Disney+ account on any Android device. Once again, once an account is created, it should be available from any device.
- Connect to a VPN server in the United States.
- Create a new Google Play Store account, but leave the account logged out.
- Purchase a Google Play gift card with an amount equal to the cost of Disney+.
- In the Google Play Store, redeem the code. You will be prompted to input a US ZIP code, but any will suffice.
- Add your new account by going to Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google.
- Log in with this account to the Google Play Store.
- Install the Disney+ app and sign up, paying using your Google balance.
Bear in mind that as more individuals use these techniques to sign up for Disney+, the company may decide to tighten the limits on how the service may be accessed.
What will be available on Disney+?
Disney+, of course, has a wealth of Disney programming, both oldies and current releases, but it also includes series and films from other networks.
The following are some of the most popular titles that you may anticipate seeing:
- Avengers: Endgame
- Finding Dory
- Frozen 2
- High School Musical: The Musical: The Series
- Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Toy Story 3
- The Simpsons
- The Mandalorian