Sweden has over one million Netflix customers, yet although they pay the same amount as their American counterparts, they get access to a fraction of the series and movies. Fortunately, there is a method to circumvent this restriction and access your local Netflix library when traveling. To access Netflix USA from Sweden, you must first connect to a virtual private network (VPN).
VPNs assist you in maintaining the privacy of your online activities. They encrypt all communication to and from your device and route it via a server you choose as an intermediate. Selecting a server in the United States will result in the replacement of your Swedish IP address with an American one.
Not all VPNs are compatible with Netflix USA; we’ll concentrate on those that are.
How to use a VPN to access Netflix USA in Sweden
It’s not difficult to get American Netflix from Sweden. To begin with, follow these steps:
- Create an account and subscribe to the VPN service we suggest (our number one option is NordVPN).
- Once your money has been properly verified, you may begin downloading and installing the VPN applications on your device(s).
- Restart your computer or device.
- Open the VPN software and connect to a US-based Netflix server. Choose a server in the US that is tailored for this purpose rather than a random one; most VPNs offer dedicated servers for this reason. If you encounter any difficulties, contact customer service or visit the website of your selected provider.
- Allow time for the connection to develop.
- Congratulations! You’re ready to go. Simply browse Netflix and begin streaming your preferred entertainment.
As previously said, selecting the best VPN for Netflix is not easy because not all of them provide this service. Our selection of the best VPN for watching Netflix in the United States of America in Sweden is based on the following criteria:
- Has a track record of successfully collaborating with Netflix US and other international streaming providers.
- Provides high-speed streaming without buffering.
- Utilizes advanced encryption algorithms to maintain the secrecy of your location.
- Provides superior customer service.
- Allows for a refund.
- Includes support for concurrent connections.
Best VPN to watch Netflix USA from Sweden
NordVPN boasts a monstrous server network of over 5,000 servers, including multiple Netflix-optimized servers in the United States. If you’re unclear about which ones those are, just browse its website, which lists them along with extra troubleshooting procedures if you have issues. Additionally, you may check each server’s current load and switch to a new one if you believe it is overloaded.
You can use NordVPN to access Netflix USA as well as a variety of other services, including Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. Customer assistance is available 24 hours a day and can help you with setting things up.
This company protects your data with 256-bit AES encryption, a kill button, and automated wifi protection. It maintains no personally identifiable logs or user data of any kind, classifying it as a “no-logs” provider.
Multiple devices may be connected concurrently to a single account, and programs are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android.
Can I use a free VPN in Sweden to access Netflix USA?
While free VPNs are abundant on the internet, we believe they are not in your best interest. As previously stated, Netflix employs extensive detection algorithms to block VPN use. Due to the substandard security and privacy standards offered by free VPNs, you will not be able to view hours of continuous HD video.
While a free VPN may provide you with a US IP address, it does not provide 24/7 customer service or Netflix-optimized servers. This is important to consider since you may encounter issues that customer support can resolve. What you do not want is a substandard experience.
Additionally, many free VPN services violate the privacy principles that VPNs are intended to uphold. Several of them collect user data to sell it to third-party advertising. According to a 2016 research of free VPN applications on the Android app store, 38% came with malware of some kind and an astounding 87 percent failed to establish an encrypted connection.
With a free VPN, you can count on just a few things: slow connections, a restricted server selection, bandwidth limiting, data limits, and lengthy wait times to connect to a server during busy hours.
If you attempt to view US Netflix in Sweden using a free VPN, you’re likely to be annoyed. If you’re not certain that a VPN is worth the money, you can sign up for a free trial or take advantage of our recommended providers’ money-back guarantees.
Are you unable to access Netflix with a VPN? Consider the following options
If you continue to have issues, consider the following extra troubleshooting steps:
- Contact the customer care staff of your VPN provider to ensure that the server to which you are connected is optimized for Netflix.
- Ensure that you have logged out of all Google accounts, including the one used to access Chrome. Google caches IP addresses, which may be why Netflix banned you.
- Disable GPS and any other location-based services on your smartphone.
- Delete all cookies, cache, and temporary files from your browser.
- Deactivate IPv6. While this is mostly applicable to users of Windows 10, it may create difficulties on other operating systems.
- Delete the DNS cache from your computer. To do this on Windows, launch the ‘Command Prompt’ in administrator mode and type in the following command: ipconfig/flushdns.
- Change the time zone on your device to that of the US server to which you are connected.
- Once you’ve completed all of the above procedures, you may disconnect from and close the VPN software.
- To get a new IP address, restart your device and reconnect to the Netflix-optimized server advised by your VPN support staff.
Why does Netflix provide content differently in various regions of the world?
Netflix is a media streaming platform, which means that it does not always hold distribution rights to the television episodes and films available on the site. They are negotiated for certain nations with third-party media production corporations such as Universal and Viacom.
While Netflix would undoubtedly want to control the rights to broadcast all content globally, production companies often earn more money by selling rights to Netflix in a few countries and other platforms across the rest of the globe. That is why Netflix goes to such lengths to geo-restrict its offerings—if it does not, it risks violating contractual agreements.
Of course, this does not apply to Netflix’s original programming, such as Black Mirror, which the company is allowed to broadcast globally. And until Netflix begins creating more original series and films, geo-restrictions will stay in effect.
Netflix uses your device’s IP address to establish your global location—an IP address is a string of digits issued to you by your internet service provider. As a result, if you connect to the internet in Sweden, you will be allocated a Swedish IP address and will be led to the Swedish Netflix collection.
When you first connect to a US VPN server, Netflix will believe you are physically in the United States and will make the local library accessible.
If Netflix does identify VPN usage, you will most likely get the following error message:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
Not to fear, VPNs are entirely legal in Sweden, and using one does not constitute a violation of any laws.